New starter

• 2 Replies

Tommy54321

New starter
« on: May 15, 2020, 14:35 »
Hello All
I'm completely a new starter to all this so I'm very much learning on the job. I acquired an allotment and slowing starting to remove weeds and plants. The last person left some area marked out but over grown with weeds etc.
I have a patch that I just dug over, this was full of grass and weeds so did the best I could with it. I have some bags of compost and bagged manure (Gro Sure) can I use the two together on this new area and start planting some onions etc that i have had growing from seed at home?? or is just using one of the bags enough. Thanks for help

polo71

Re: New starter
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 15:28 »
I follow the no-dig method and I did something very similar last year mixed multi purpose compost with some organic farm manure (that turned out to be not organic) as I didn't have any home made compost / mulch. Put a layer about 2 / 3 inches deep (cost a few quid) planted strait into it no bother at all with Onions, Leeks, spuds, Lettice and so on and had a very good year.

good luck   

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: New starter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 18:08 »
Onions like manure, so I'd just work some of it into the top couple of inches and then plant your onions. Leave enough space between the rows so that you can hoe any weeds off as they appear. Good luck  :)

wink
new starter

Started by rapahoe on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 15:00
by rapahoe
xx
Peppers a non starter

Started by turnpike on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 16:25
by turnpike
xx
starter advice on first dig

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 11, 2012, 23:52
by Salmo
xx
A few starter tips ???

Started by nalayiniuk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 02, 2007, 17:41
by beansticks

Page created in 0.523 seconds with 38 queries.