Can I use a Rabbit Hutch as a Hen House?

• 74 Replies

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2008, 17:34 »
Oh you guys are SO funny :tongue2:

Right so next project is raising the hutch.

What kind of Hen House do you have Rob?

poultrygeist

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2008, 18:02 »
It's a home made timber effort I knocked over Christmas and New Year.

You can just see it through the razor wire and anti-tank minefield.
I wold love to start it again from scratch but unfortunately they'd be homeless for a week while I did it.
It's amazing how the concept never matches the practical ideal once it's in use. But maybe we can save up and do a better job in a year or so.

Rob

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2008, 18:57 »
Well it looks positively luxurious when you compare it with my hutch.  I'd say your chooks are getting 5 star treatment there.  :D   They certainly look very happy.

Am hoping mine don't get fussy.  Mind you I found them in my kitchen today so maybe they've got grand designs already.  :wink:

Wildeone

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2008, 19:03 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"

I wold love to start it again from scratch but unfortunately they'd be homeless for a week while I did it.
It's amazing how the concept never matches the practical ideal once it's in use. But maybe we can save up and do a better job in a year or so.

Rob
Thats brilliant!!! You're too modest (or are pulling our leg and it cost a packet!) :!:  :wink:
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

poultrygeist

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2008, 19:05 »
Another 10 minutes and they'd have knocked up one of Jamie's recipes...bish, bash, bosh...pukka.

They do shout at us to let them run free but out of the question.
I have explained it to them but not sure if they fully grasped the situation.

It has been said on here that they'll survive with a tree to perch in and a bit of corn to eat. Any more is a bonus. It's just something you have to find a level you can afford and manage and try to improve as and when you can..up to a point which you feel is adequate.

We're selling our old cooker at the mo so if we get a decent price we're going to reinvest in the run. I want to add another 10m2 approx and then we'll be done.

Rob

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2008, 19:07 »
Looks like Chickingham Towers to me Rob.  Wonderful  :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2008, 19:09 »
Quote from: "Wildeone"

Rob
Thats brilliant!!! You're too modest (or are pulling our leg and it cost a packet!) :!:  :wink:

Not at all !..I started with the legs which were left over 2x2 from another project and built from there. The coop cost about £100 all in. But I should have looked at a few more before going ahead. There are nooks and crannies which are awkward to clean and the access is limited. The nest box lifts away and then that whole side unbolts. Unfortunately it faces south which means that cleaning it with more than a slight breeze sends wood shaving across the county !!  :?

But if I did it again I'd built frame outside like I think Zak has done. Far cleaner inside.

Rob

poultrygeist

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2008, 19:10 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Looks like Chickingham Towers to me Rob.  Wonderful  :D

You'll have me blushing between you  :oops:

R

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2008, 19:31 »
Another 10 minutes and they'd have knocked up one of Jamie's recipes...bish, bash, bosh...pukka.

Now there's an idea.  I do think they should earn their living and although the eggs are lovely, I'm already appreciating the leaves they've raked out of the borders for me.  However, letting them loose in my kitchen, hmm no not so sure.

When I first got the chooks they did want to roost in the trees at night but I was worried something would get them so I do think the hutch is at least preferable to that!  Maybe we should all rate our houses on a Star Level.  Yours could be 5*.  Mine can be 2* (well it's waterproof and has plenty of hay!  And I removed the dead guinea pig before the chooks moved in  :wink: )

poultrygeist

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2008, 19:37 »
Quote from: "Fifitrix"
(well it's waterproof and has plenty of hay!  And I removed the dead guinea pig before the chooks moved in  :wink: )

Ah...yes...well. I've had to cover the nest box lid with felt because when it rained there was a rather wet patch inside. They had to sleep in the main compartment that night. Must have been awful for them !  :roll:

So don't judge a coop by it's cladding  :)

Rob

Ali10

CHICKEN HOUSES
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2008, 10:16 »
Viv - please can  you let me have contact details for man you mentioned in Portsmouth who makes chicken/rabbit houses.  Thanks

Ali10

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2008, 12:04 »
Quote from: "Viv"
I use rabbit hutches and chicken houses, they prefer the rabbit hutches for some reason to lay their eggs in. I found a great man in Portsmouth who makes either hutches or houses to your requirements, all tongue and groove, far cheaper than going to a shop. If anyone wants his telephone number please let me know and I will pm you with it.

Yes pleas I would like his contact details.  Thanks

Vember

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2008, 12:21 »
Quote from: "Ali10"
Quote from: "Viv"
I use rabbit hutches and chicken houses, they prefer the rabbit hutches for some reason to lay their eggs in. I found a great man in Portsmouth who makes either hutches or houses to your requirements, all tongue and groove, far cheaper than going to a shop. If anyone wants his telephone number please let me know and I will pm you with it.

Yes pleas I would like his contact details.  Thanks

Might be an idea to send Viv a pm, I don't think she's been on for a while :)

Porffor

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2008, 12:48 »
What a great thread this is. :)
I was wondering.. and intending at the start to 'convert' an old hutch to a chicken coop. Just a temporary with a view to it being a nesting box later, or a spare hutch, in case either a guinea pig or hen were poorly.. or in the hens case expecting ;)

After much deliberating about a coop and what we 'want' from it, I think we will convert the hutch for a couple of hens and then go from there.

Anyone that has a hutch conversion, did you divide the bedroom into nest boxes as such? Only i'm thinking of moving hte current 'divide' and putting in a divide so that it's two boxes on the left, and a common perch area on the right.
the current bedroom is 21" deep by 16" wide - the overall height of the inside is 20.5"
The common area (for perch) is 21" deep by 24" wide

Would this be ok do you think? if i kept the perch low?
The run will be 3 metres squared.

poultrygeist

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2008, 13:01 »
That sounds ok for a couple of small 'uns to me. As long as it's free of draughts but with some ventilation at the top because it gets pretty warm and they give off a lot of heat.

A couple ours were perched on the stand of the free-standing perches the other night. No matter what you do, they never read the instructions.

If you can put some perching or a small log or something in the run for them it gives them space for preening in the evening. Are you letting them wander at all ?

xx
Will a rabbit hutch do....

Started by ness on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 01, 2007, 20:59
by Aunt Sally
xx
can i keep quails in a rabbit hutch?

Started by massa on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 16:57
by ehs284
xx
Converting a two story rabbit hutch into a coop

Started by FCG on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 22:24
by Porffor
xx
Rabbit Hutch to Chicken Coop - Now a roosting quandary.

Started by FCG on The Hen House

87 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 21:57
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 51 queries.