growing cucumbers from seed

• 6 Replies

Twood

• Experienced Member
« on: May 03, 2020, 15:56 »
Hello all
I've started growing this years cucumbers from seed (well the garden centre is shut) but a good opportunity to try other varieties.
I'm attempting to grow Boothbys Blonde cucumbers from Real Seeds. Bare with me. I have followed the instructions started them off inside 70 C plus.(inside near the boiler cupboard) I now have 2 that have emerged. :D.
 However I dont know whether to move them to a windowsill inside or to the greenhouse.
Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks
Twood
Happy Gardening May your plot be abundant in veg and free from slugs ! :)

polo71

Re: growing cucumbers from seed
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 16:16 »
Move them to a sunny window sill until they get there first leaf and then start and harden them off ready for your greenhouse put them in greenhouse during the day and bring back inside on a night then when warm enough leave in greenhouse both night and day , My outdoor ones I have done the same with but now I don't bring them back in on a night.

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 17:56 »
My Marketmore outdoor ridge cucumber plants are 3" high, and are living in a cold greenhouse until planting out at end of month.

Twood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 18:32 »
thanks to you both for your replies. They both have their initial leaves on and i have moved them to a light windowsill. There is a 3rd coming up behind them.  think I'll wait until that comes up an as you say put them in the greenhouse during the day and bring them in once it gets chilly. If I remember !! :ohmy:

Twood

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 19:01 »
Be ultra careful with the watering, and ultra gentle when you pot them on.  Yesterday I had two lovely strong looking cucumber plants almost a foot tall each.  I repotted them VERY carefully, and this morning I only have one.  Cucumbers seem to commit suicide at the drop of a hat - or is it just me?

Twood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 20:20 »
No I dont think so Jaydig
i started off with Marketmore originally. I had one germinate and enthusiastically gave it a drop of water and moved it to a better light source and it keeled over and died.

So as you say very temperamental which is why I asked for advice about moving them but  I'll definitely take into account the watering issue. I think that may be why the Marketmore died on me.
The pots are reasonable big so I'm hoping that the replant will be when I move them outside. Fingers crossed

Twood

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 10:56 »
Be ultra careful with the watering, and ultra gentle when you pot them on.  Yesterday I had two lovely strong looking cucumber plants almost a foot tall each.  I repotted them VERY carefully, and this morning I only have one.  Cucumbers seem to commit suicide at the drop of a hat - or is it just me?

They don’t like water around their stems.  Never repot deeper than the original soil surface.  I plant them on a slight mound so that the water goes to the roots and not to the base of the stem.

xx

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 22:15
by maxibo
clip
NEW TO GROWING CUCUMBERS

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 16, 2015, 07:39
by cadalot
xx
Growing cucumbers

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2007, 11:12
by muntjac
xx
growing cucumbers

Started by jessicajake on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 21:37
by Kristen

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 30 queries.