Shallots - uneven growth

• 6 Replies

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
Shallots - uneven growth
« on: April 30, 2020, 16:17 »
I've got shallots with tops that are now nearly 8 inches high, alongside others that haven't broken dormancy yet!  I don't think I've ever seen such uneven growth. 

All my own saved bulbs, stored the same way, and planted at the same time at start of March.  Digging up the bulbs that haven't moved yet, they are still sound, and most are just starting to show a root or two now.

Has anyone else seen this - is it due to the unseasonably warm & dry weather we've just had?

G&R

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Shallots - uneven growth
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 16:43 »
If it's any consolation mine are like that every year (consolation is all you'll be getting because I haven't a clue why!  :lol:)

Despite being netted against birds, what I assume to be a fox managed to dislodge a few early on this year, but that doesn't account for why some root'n'shoot far quicker than others.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jambop

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 18:13 »
Seems odd but maybe one or two are just a bit sleepy? It could be because they are need in moisture.
Rather than start a new thread I will ask on this one. I am growing a shallot variety called Longer. I put them in a raised be early March and they have made spectacular growth... I estimate the foliage to be about 16 to 18 inches high. Is this normal? I have grown shallots before but cannot remember the tops being that high.

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 10:10 »
Seems odd but maybe one or two are just a bit sleepy? It could be because they are need in moisture.
Rather than start a new thread I will ask on this one. I am growing a shallot variety called Longer. I put them in a raised be early March and they have made spectacular growth... I estimate the foliage to be about 16 to 18 inches high. Is this normal? I have grown shallots before but cannot remember the tops being that high.

Maybe the clue is in the name :lol: Maybe it is a variety thing, mine are only 6” high.

To the OP, mine did seem a bit uneven in starting to sprout, but they all seem about the same now except for a few that are clearly not going to do anything.

While on the subject of shallots, mine are all producing flower heads, is this normal? Will it adversely affect the drop like it does with onion sets? Should I remove them?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 10:38 »
While on the subject of shallots, mine are all producing flower heads, is this normal? Will it adversely affect the drop like it does with onion sets? Should I remove them?

Yes, definitely remove them.

Assuming they have not split into clusters yet, the new bulbs should be OK as long as they don't produce seed heads too (they won't keep if they do.)

Keep them well watered - they must have been under stress to bolt this early in the season.

Nobbie

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 23:11 »

Yes, definitely remove them.

Assuming they have not split into clusters yet, the new bulbs should be OK as long as they don't produce seed heads too (they won't keep if they do.)

Keep them well watered - they must have been under stress to bolt this early in the season.

They’ve already split and have a seed head forming on each division. Is it worth cutting them off, or just dig up. They were planted in autumn, not sure if that’s recommended or not.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 07:49 »
Some varieties are more suited to autumn planting than others, in that they are more cold-resistant and therefore less likely to bolt.

Bolting produces a thick necked shallot which is very difficult to dry and hence prone to rotting in storage. It's too late to plant some more, so if you don't need the space you may wish to cut off all the seed heads ASAP and go with what you get - they'll be usable but not of A1 quality and won't keep.

question
Uneven ground

Started by Cirrus on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 10, 2020, 09:29
by rowlandwells
xx
New growth

Started by sloegin on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 21:16
by sloegin
xx
Herbs growth

Started by Ry Lew on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 13, 2020, 09:04
by mumofstig
xx
Second Growth Spurt?

Started by Dominic on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 19, 2008, 21:45
by gobs

Page created in 0.483 seconds with 36 queries.