Growing veg in containers - what soil to choose?

• 6 Replies

JacobK

Growing veg in containers - what soil to choose?
« on: April 26, 2020, 13:10 »
Hi,

I have recently moved to a new property with a back garden that is sadly paved with concrete so have to opt for growing veg in containers (I''ll be making some about 12" x 12" x 60" / 30cm x 30cm x 150cm). Being a complete beginner, I found choosing the right growing medium for this type of gardening a bit difficult. Depending on what website I look at, there is talk of either using just compost or mix of compost & soil. This is further complicated by online garden suppliers who advertise different products as seemingly equally good for growing vegetables. Looking at websites such as Dandy's or Earth Cycle and based on the size of my containers, could someone tell me which of the products advertised there would make for a good all-round choice? Also, any idea as to how many and what size drainage holes should I drill in the bottom of my containers? Any help will be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Jacob
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 15:02 by JacobK »

Kleftiwallah

Re: Growing veg in containers
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 13:20 »
Good afternoon JacobK,
I do not know with the present situation but,  if you approach the Manager of your favourite supermarket he may have some large flower buckets going frre!  Don't quote me though.  Cheers.  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

JacobK

Re: Growing veg in containers
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 14:02 »
Hey Kleftiwallah,

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry, I don't think I worded myself right - it's the compost/soil advice I'm looking for rather than container advice! I'm just confused by what I've seen online so far, with many places talking about different things. I'm just looking to be pointed towards a specific product from the websites presented in my first post and if I should use a couple of different products then - given the size of my future containers - in what ratio? Just to confirm, the pots will be out in the back garden.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 15:06 by JacobK »

Kleftiwallah

Re: Growing veg in containers - what soil to choose?
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 15:24 »
Sorry JacobK,  jumping to conclusions and not reading the question.  Stay after school and write out 100 lines!
Moisture retention should be your watchword, Vermiculite and a loam based compost would be my choice.

Cheers,  Tony.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 17:31 »
A mixture of multi-purpose compost and topsoil would be ideal - you could just use multipurpose on its own, but as Kleftiwallah has already said, it would dry out much more quickly than a mixture including soil.

I'd go for just 2 1/2" drainage holes per 5' container - the soil won't fall through if it's kept moist, and is enough to ensure excess water drains out without making it too easy for it to do so when watering.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 18:08 »
we are sowing veg in tubs and troughs and Yes JayG is rite a mix of top soil and compost it doesn't dry out as much as just busing compost or peat

we are trying  peat top soil and organic fertilizer mix to see how that works out for tub and trough growing  :unsure:

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 19:53 »
I'd just take all the info from chums here, then just think about what you are able to buy.

We're short of compost this year owing to lockdown, so we just take what there is and make it work, there's no rocket science involved, so lucky you, you don't have to dig anywhere, and can use whatever is available!

Let's face it, no company is going to go to the trouble of producing a bad product, because gardeners just wouldn't buy the stuff!

Good luck, and best wishes to you for a decent harvest!

xx
Growing In Containers

Started by JeanetteCoulson on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2008, 15:47
by Ice
xx
Growing in containers

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 10:37
by AdrianH
xx
Growing peas in containers

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 20, 2013, 22:51
by grinling
xx
Growing tomatoes in containers.

Started by Clampit on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 07, 2008, 23:24
by Bombers

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 44 queries.