Confused as to when Tomato plants can go out...

• 11 Replies

OakR

Confused as to when Tomato plants can go out...
« on: April 23, 2020, 19:59 »
Hello

I'm in London and pretty good chance we won't have a frost again now - the last frost date according to one site was mid-april, but many people seem to say May 15th or around, but that seems to be bandied around for various regions.

Either way, when can you plant tomatoes out? I've read the pollen won't form properly if the temp is below 10 (or maybe 13C) overnight, but if plants are still growing without flowers can they go in the ground now \ early May if the night time temps will be 6-9 C?

My garden gets shaded at this time of year as I have some large decidous trees that are now getting lots fo leaves and blocking light, so the pop up greenhouse is shaded from around 11am to 3pm and won't get any sun before 8.30am or after 6pm.

I have a greenhouse at the allotment I could move some plants to but assuming I should only go once, will have to leave the door open as that gets full sun pretty much all day and gets very hot - which would mean colder at night but less wind I guess.

Sorry this is longwinded, but should I keep my tomato plants (some large ones 50 or so cm tall, and some just a few cm potted on to 7cm pots) at home in the shade, move them and risk some planted outside, or some in the greenhouse?

Thanks

right best get out and start clapping!

Al

Edit - I should add at present I take them outside each day and bring them back in each evening which I can keep doing for a while so they are day hardened off as such but none have stayed out at night.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 20:07 by OakR »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Confused as to when Tomato plants can go out...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 20:15 »
I think you are being premature - night time temps of below 10C can stunt growth completely; it's not about pollen setting.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

OakR

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 20:29 »
I see - I suspect it might be June until that happens to I may just experiment then \ risk some as I definitely can't keep them all in the house til June with the size they will get to. will pop soe of the varieties I have a few off \ backups growing in the greenhouse and see how they go - the allotment one might be warmer than mine as it will get sun much later and earlier.

These were early but I guess this means without a heated greenhouse getting started even in March is ambitious if they are destined mostly for outside, or even an unheated greenhouse.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 21:19 »
Mine don't get planted in the greenhouse  'til about beginning of May, then they get fleeced on any cold nights. The outside ones are planted out mid May, under a poly cloche if it's still cold at night ;)

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 10:54 »
Mine go out onto the allotment May 18th. I 'gamble' by putting a couple out a week earlier, but there isn't much point in this really..

Longshanks

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 11:43 »
I plant mine out (London) on cup final day, which this year might be never.

Charlibp

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 17:41 »
I am also slightly confused, sorry to add. Is my polytunnel equivilant to a normal green house eg I can plant out early may, if I cover with fleece on cold night?

polo71

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 17:49 »
Mine are about 7" tall and are in the greenhouse daytime and kitchen night time for a few days then greenhouse day and night (in pots) for a week and then plant in the soil in the greenhouse 2week of may and they normally ok they may slow down a little first few weeks but they soon take off.
On our allotments I have seen plants 18" tall with flowers on in pots in peoples greenhouse already and some cucumbers !

OakR

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 20:51 »
I am also slightly confused, sorry to add. Is my polytunnel equivilant to a normal green house eg I can plant out early may, if I cover with fleece on cold night?

What I have gathered from the posts above and some further research is that basically outdoor, polytunnel or greenhouse, the minimum nighttime temperature should not be below 10C. if it is it can stunt growth completely or slow it down, and when in flower can affect the pollen (I have 2 plants in flower now!). I have read that it can cause 'unexpected tomatoes' ie too small, more prone to splitting etc though I'm unclear if this just affects the trusses that have developed when it is cold, or all (I assume the former).

I believe one advantage of the greenhouse or polytunnel is that plants are less affected by the wind which I believe can also be a large factor \ benefit compared to plants in the ground outside.

With all that said, I've no idea how you plant without a heated greenhouse assuming earliest nighttime temps consistently 10C will be sometime in June.

I'm going to have to try a few sacrifical ones and see what happens - next year I think actually I'll hold back
 - mine were planted late Feb and then again early April but both seem early based on the above - the feb ones I knew were in fairness and I was warned!

My major issue now is that I have to trade off more sun + cold nights vs less sun and warmer nights - I'm not sure what is best out of those, though I guess it seems fairly conclusive that cold nights are not good.

Good luck and I hope that helps!!

Al

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 20:53 by OakR »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 08:23 »
It's not an exact science - tomatoes can survive temperatures even a little below 10C as long as it's not for prolonged periods, and they're not being stressed in other ways (like being subjected to very high daytime temperatures too.)

As an example of the protection you might expect to see from a greenhouse, last night's outdoor minimum here was 4.7C - minimum inside my GH was 8.8C.
Again, not an exact science (a still night last night - it may have been cooler inside the GH on a breezier night as heat loss would have been greater.)

Where I am, I would expect to be able to transplant my tomatoes into the GH by mid May, outdoors not until early June. Prior to that, they will be brought back into the house at night if temperatures remain low.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 18:00 »
It's also down to shelter from the wind, shade, position of GH, and other conditions like proximity to warming brick walls etc.

This year, I planted out nineteen pots of soil/compost in the GH on 15th April, which is the norm here.

The other forty-five are raring to go while being hardened off as seedlings about four inches high, and shut up at night...

We have an enormous yew tree behind 'The Turrets', which puts everything in shade from lunchtime onwards, but at this time of year, all the other factors as above kick in, and everything gets about seven hours morning sunlight which is what toms seem to like more than heat!

AnneB

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 18:36 »
Mine are in the greenhouse by day and brought back into the kitchen at night.   It only crept up to 3 degrees last night here, far too cold for them.

I am going to wait a week or so until night time temperatures are around 8, then the tomatoes will go inside a pop up greenhouse that sits inside the ordinary greenhouse at night.   Back out in the greenhouse by day for indoor tomatoes. At that point I will start to harden off the bush tomatoes destined for outdoors outside during the day.   Everything in its final position, either outside at the allotment or in the polytunnel there or inside the greenhouse at home from the first week in June.

xx
Confused about tomato

Started by cbu183 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 07, 2008, 13:21
by gobs
xx
Confused with Tomato feeding!!!

Started by Hazel Anne on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 22:30
by mashbintater
xx
My tomato plants

Started by gill robinson on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2020, 16:41
by snowdrops
xx
tomato plants

Started by davidmw on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2013, 22:03
by DD.

Page created in 0.982 seconds with 38 queries.