Tomato seed germination

• 1 Replies

jambop

Tomato seed germination
« on: April 19, 2020, 17:13 »

It is probably not something that is earth shattering news but I have notice something which is, for me quite, interesting. Because of the situation re lockdown I am using two year old tomato seed. I sowed some in my polytunnel without heat which took quite a while to come through, but have and are doing not bad. Now I have been working the ground out in the plot in the area where I grew tomatoes last year. No sooner have I disturbed the soil and hundreds of seedlings have sprouted all over the place... I am going to have to hoe the ground to get rid of them. So conditions in the tunnel warm and more constant... out in the open much cooler and cold at night with some cool easterly winds yet the come through so quickly? Just some old fallen tomato seed sitting there waiting  :D

Hampshire Hog

Re: Tomato seed germination
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 16:02 »
Interesting! I find that when I use old compost from bags used to grow tomatoes to top up my raised beds tomatoes pop up all over the place in the following season. Ironically I now have a good supply of tomatoes grown from seed waiting for warmer weather and the arrival of some tomato plants ordered in panic online when all the local nurseries shut down. (I usually just pick up a few plants from the garden centre and augment with ones from the local gardening club.) My next challenge will be to find enough pots etc to house all these plants!! Cheers HH

Keep digging

xx
Tomato seed germination

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 27, 2008, 20:22
by citygirl
xx
Tomato germination problem

Started by bappelbe on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 14:17
by bappelbe
xx
Tomato seeds germination problems

Started by RealLeeHimself on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 11, 2018, 13:44
by Goosegirl
xx
Help with seed germination

Started by Runwell-Steve on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 17:20
by Runwell-Steve

Page created in 0.794 seconds with 36 queries.