onions and shallots

• 4 Replies

rowlandwells

onions and shallots
« on: April 16, 2020, 09:00 »
does anyone who grows onion and shallots bottle them obviously growing pickling onion varieties i know this is an old traditional think passed down through the ages

I have seen large jars of pickled onions in B&M  but there not like your own grown and bottled from your fair hands not to mention the taste of home grown

so if you  still grow and  bottle your own onions and shallots what varieties do you grow or think is the best for both taste and keeping there something to bring tears to your eyes  :D

grinling

Re: onions and shallots
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 22:29 »
I have always pickled shallots,adding extra spice to the pickling vinegar, but will use bigger onions for chutney. Can't remember what shallot though

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 10:35 »
Paris Silverskins are the small onions traditionally grown for pickled onions, and I used to grow/pickle them when the family were still at home  :) https://marshallsgarden.com/products/paris-silverskin-onion-seeds-30310158
How spicy you make the pickling vinegar is up to you  :D
Val has a few ideas here
https://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/oils-vinegar/make-spiced-flavoured-vinegars-pickling-vinegars/
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 10:38 by mumofstig »

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 18:57 »
we are growing Red Sun and Golden Gourmet don't like um to spicy  i like them with a slice of farmhouse bread and a nice piece of mature cheese  :D

jambop

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 19:06 »
I am growing Longer shallots this year essentially because we use them in cooking. But last autumn I made pickle onions from all the really small onions of which for some reason I had quite a lot. I am talking onions of the 30 to 40mm calibre. I made three large jars of them and they are scrummy ... only one thing it is nearly impossible to get malt vinegar down here so I had to use red wine vinegar good but not as good as malt vinegar for pickles IMO. The other thing I would say is do not try to make them unless the onions are rock hard a small soft onion is no good for pickles.

xx
Shallots & Onions

Started by gwltabb on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 18:44
by IanYORK
xx
What's this on my shallots and onions?

Started by Martin on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2007, 21:15
by Martin
question
Onions or Shallots?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 16, 2011, 06:01
by paintedlady
xx
Red onions and shallots

Started by LilRed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 20:25
by LilRed

Page created in 0.764 seconds with 38 queries.