« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2020, 14:50 »
And it's in...Yay..

IMG_20200418_144830206.jpg
IMG_20200418_144859964.jpg

WeavingGryphon

Re: Getting bread to rise.
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2020, 15:10 »
And it's in...Yay..

Mine never got above the lid of the tin. It just lurked at the bottom like it was guilty of something. Which it was, of being rubbish.

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2020, 15:16 »

It just lurked at the bottom like it was guilty of something. Which it was, of being rubbish.
:lol: :lol:
Don't despair, I reckon it's your ingreedyments  :D

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2020, 15:25 »
And now for some lunch!
20 mins @ 220 then 10 mins @ 180

I quite enjoyed doing that, pleased it turned out OK.
I hope some of you will find the step by step useful.  :) and good luck WG with getting yours right, you will.  :)

IMG_20200418_152119638.jpg
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 15:31 by Blackpool rocket »

MrsPea

« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2020, 15:30 »
And now for some lunch!
Looks lovely i wont to make one like that, do you have a simple recipe  :)
I Love my green house

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2020, 15:32 »
And now for some lunch!
Looks lovely i wont to make one like that, do you have a simple recipe  :)

If you go from my first post at about 12.00 it's all detailed.  :) The recipe is simplicity itself.  :)

MrsPea

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2020, 17:43 »
Thank you just printed it of, hopefully i've got some flour after all that  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2020, 20:46 »
Weavingryphon I think maybe you would be better to master 1 recipe with just 1 type of flour probably white strong flour, I certainly think you need to utilise your oven fr the proving stages initially. Once you are happy with what you are producing then it would be time to experiment with other flours & recipes.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2020, 00:48 »
Weavingryphon I think maybe you would be better to master 1 recipe with just 1 type of flour probably white strong flour, I certainly think you need to utilise your oven fr the proving stages initially. Once you are happy with what you are producing then it would be time to experiment with other flours & recipes.

Wise words.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2020, 09:09 »

I don't disagree with that, but I haven't been able to get the normal powdered yeast to replace the guilty, not quite up to having a flour party that's living in the tin in my kitchen. So if I want to bake bread, I need to go the sourdough way. I have some of the fresh yeast which I am reading up on using now (25%-50%  more than dried depending on who you read), but I would like a back up.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 09:40 by WeavingGryphon »

lettice

« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2020, 10:06 »
I would agree with many on here that it sounds like your yeast is the problem.
I see you have tested it, but does seem that something you are doing is upsetting it.

Assume your liquids you are using are tepid, about 35-38c is ideal.

Do be accurate with your measurements too, do not add more yeast, sugar, salt, liquid and flour to your recipe, until like many of us you have learnt to master bread making.

I do use a breadmaker for all my breadmaking. Often using the dough option and then shape into the loaf of my choice. Make baguettes, cottage and sesame long tin loaves regularly using the dough option.

I prove all my bread on my electric range cooker warming plate. Turn that on for about ten minutes and then turn it off and pop the tin or baguette tray on top of a wire rack on the warming plate. That gives the dough a rise to my liking in about an hour.

Here is some of mine I have made this week.
One half/half loaf all done in breadmaker, the rest all using the breadmaker dough setting.
bread.jpg

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2020, 11:40 »
I would agree with many on here that it sounds like your yeast is the problem.
I see you have tested it, but does seem that something you are doing is upsetting it.

Assume your liquids you are using are tepid, about 35-38c is ideal.
Check.

Do be accurate with your measurements too, do not add more yeast, sugar, salt, liquid and flour to your recipe, until like many of us you have learnt to master bread making.
Check, almost, I added small increments of water until all the flour was taken up as the mixture was too dry. I needed a bit extra to the recipe and I was careful how much I added.

I do use a breadmaker for all my breadmaking. Often using the dough option and then shape into the loaf of my choice. Make baguettes, cottage and sesame long tin loaves regularly using the dough option.

I prove all my bread on my electric range cooker warming plate. Turn that on for about ten minutes and then turn it off and pop the tin or baguette tray on top of a wire rack on the warming plate. That gives the dough a rise to my liking in about an hour.

Here is some of mine I have made this week.
One half/half loaf all done in breadmaker, the rest all using the breadmaker dough setting.

I don't have a warming plate and the oven has a fan that actively cools the oven once you switch it off. It doesn't stay warm.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2020, 17:47 »
Started making sourdough with the discard and it is climbing the bowl. I should have taken photos. It's coming to get you Youngest, for poking the bowl!

snowdrops

« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2020, 20:13 »

I don't disagree with that, but I haven't been able to get the normal powdered yeast to replace the guilty, not quite up to having a flour party that's living in the tin in my kitchen. So if I want to bake bread, I need to go the sourdough way. I have some of the fresh yeast which I am reading up on using now (25%-50%  more than dried depending on who you read), but I would like a back up.

You can add yeast to sourdough mix if you’re still having issues? As I thought you’d given up on sourdough?

xx
Bread Making: Nowhere Warm To Rise

Started by michellela on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

25 Replies
Last post November 07, 2010, 16:31
by Aunt Sally
xx
Bought bread tears, my bread crumbles, why?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 19:53
by Scribbler
xx
Bread , oil

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2020, 10:47
by chrissie B
xx
Problem with bread.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

28 Replies
Last post March 24, 2013, 13:35
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 52 queries.