Moving stuff to greenhouse

• 3 Replies

cluelessnovice

Moving stuff to greenhouse
« on: April 12, 2020, 14:23 »
Hi, as the username suggests I'm new to all of this and finding my feet. I have cucumber, courgette, dwarf beans and pumpkins that I planted up about a month ago and they are currently residing in my spare room. They are getting quite big now and I would ideally like to move them to my unheated greenhouse to give them some space and free my spare room up again. Is it still too early to do this and will they suffer? I have come too far looking after these little darlings to send them to slow painful death in the greenhouse. I've hopefully attached a picture that gives you an idea of the size they are now. I'll probably leave the tomato's on the sunny windowsill until May time as they aren't really in my way. 
IMG_20200412_104136.jpg

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Moving stuff to greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 15:08 »
With a few cold nights forecast, this seems to be a particularly bad time to move them.

Cukes in particular are prone to opting for a quick painless death given the slightest excuse, and would probably be the first to suffer - you really need to be confident of a minimum of 10C, and even then you would probably be well advised to bring them back indoors again at night for a while if the temperatures were only hovering around that figure.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 18:38 »
Every year everyone itches to get seeds started into growth after a winter which can seem endless. I'm afraid you have succumbed to the same itch that we all have. All of the seedlings you mention are frost sensitive, so putting them out now risks loosing them. I have only just sowed courgette pumpkin and squash in a heated propagator and I will be sowing dwarf French and climbing beans in a weeks time. What we all have to learn is that low temperatures stifle growth, and sowing your seeds at the right time means they will grow away healthy and catch up with earlier sowings. I think gardening is a long term learning process, and you have to learn from your mistakes as well as your successes. All the best for the future though - and you never know, you might get a good result from what you've got!

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 19:08 »
i usually sow too early, but with being furloughed and the warm weather, ive been putting out my seedlings in full sun to try to stop them getting leggy....im not sure ive suceeded ::)...they are romping away with this warm weather.

I have got second sowings which are now showing, so all hope is not lost...but after last year with the cold wet start, I just couldn't help myself...time will tell :unsure:

xx
Guidance needed moving stuff about

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 21:33
by AmandaLouise
xx
Moving a greenhouse

Started by kel28 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 16:40
by Caretaker
xx
Moving potatoes from greenhouse to outside

Started by thumperrabbit on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 03, 2013, 10:01
by thumperrabbit
xx
Moving Tomato seedlings to the Greenhouse

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 24, 2008, 18:12
by mdueal

Page created in 0.899 seconds with 41 queries.