Runner beans up against the shed

• 3 Replies

rogertb

• Experienced Member
Runner beans up against the shed
« on: April 10, 2020, 06:24 »
Hi chaps, I have a 3ft gap between the hedge and the shed and thought that if I "leant" canes up against the shed I  could grow runners ... anyone tried this please ? (there's not enough room really for teepees or a conventional "double row")

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Runner beans up against the shed
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 08:26 »
The problem is, would they get enough light? If you brought the canes away from shed, so that there maybe was enough light, would you still be able to get along the row to pick the beans?
There's probably only one way to find out, isn't there  ;) Good luck!

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 08:53 »
we usually grow quite a lot of runner and climbing french beans but don't know what's going to happen this year because we haven't been down the allotments yet because I've been told to stay on lock down til things hopefully  mite improve  :unsure:

so we are gong to grow some beans up the house garden and i was looking at growing them up an  obelisk as we have several spare obelisk's  kicking about would they be any good? I just hope we can get down the allotments to grow our beans  :unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 09:08 »
Hi chaps, I have a 3ft gap between the hedge and the shed and thought that if I "leant" canes up against the shed I  could grow runners ... anyone tried this please ? (there's not enough room really for teepees or a conventional "double row")

As mum says, it needs to be a sunny spot given that they'll only get light from one side.
Don't think picking the beans would be any more difficult than it would be if using conventional wigwam or inverted 'V' supports.

Not sure about obelisks RW - runner beans grow to at least 7-8 feet, and although you can pinch out the growing tips the yield will suffer if you have to restrict them to half that. You might have to use a stake or guy ropes to keep the obelisk upright - the ones I've seen wouldn't be the most stable structures ever invented when covered with bean plants.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
runner beans or french beans?

Started by rivkele on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 09:34
by rivkele

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 38 queries.