Butternut seed

• 3 Replies

Robster

Butternut seed
« on: April 08, 2020, 16:27 »
Having no purpose bought butternut seed this year and nothing available mail order and the garden centres being closed. I’ve bought a butternut from the supermarket. The fruit came from South Africa. So I’m assuming our shorter fuller winter they may struggle to come to anything. Anyway my partner loves butternut so I’ve got to try this seed. Dried them for a day and sowed then. Anyone else tried these?  Any tips?  Appreciate your thoughts.

rowlandwells

Re: Butternut seed
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 17:52 »
we started growing butternut squash about two seasons ago  my wife makes  butternut soup when the butternut is ready and we freeze the soup we have been eating  it all winter the varieties we grow are Hunter and Waltham had a very good crop last season we bought a butternut squash called crown prince to try before we bought the seed  and we found this variety had good taste a bit deeper orange than the other varieties

its grey in colour when you pick it don't let that turn you of because as i said it has a good flavour and I'm informed its excellent for long term storage we also grow some pumpkin's that we also use for soups and adding to stews

its unfortunate that this season  we are going to struggle growing our squash if this pandemic continues  to keep us in lock down anyway i hope this helps and good luck with your seeds

Mbmyco2

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 20:59 »
had butternut squash for dinner and thinking I'm going to do the same whats the worst that could happen
Full on Gardening Geek!!!

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 08:56 »
not quite sure what you mean Mbmyco2 can you expand on your reply thanks RW

xx
butternut

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 00:22
by Paul Plots
xx
Help with Butternut

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 12:45
by Paul Plots
question
Butternut

Started by blackberryjam on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 03, 2013, 09:35
by blackberryjam
xx
butternut squash

Started by Y.E.A.H on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 18:00
by Kristen

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 36 queries.