Are my Runner Bean seedlings bolting?

• 17 Replies

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
Are my Runner Bean seedlings bolting?
« on: April 07, 2020, 18:34 »
I've never tried to grow Runner Beans before so forgive my ignorance but are these seedlings bolting? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

P1140052-1.jpg

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Are my Runner Bean seedlings bolting?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 18:58 »
They need more light, me dear  :D

jambop

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 19:54 »
Just my opinion but it is far too early to be sowing runner beans. They are tender and will not be able to be safely planted out for a long time yet. These seedlings are of no use to you. My suggestion is to resow into individual pots in three or four weeks time and then when they come through get them into a place that has adequate light. They should be ready to go out into the open ground some time late May or early June. Even down here where we get favourable weather in springtime beans remain a crop that goes into the ground only when it is warm enough to grow them... usually sometime late May.

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 20:30 »
Well that's odd, because the seed packets indicate that they can be sown them from April onwards which is why I did so.
All my seed trays are directly in front of a large window so I'm also surprised that two of you are saying they need more light. I'm not sure how I can achieve more light when they're already in a bright room.
I think I'll persevere with these for now if you don't think they're actually bolting and if they fail I can always sow some more next month.
Many thanks!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 21:09 »
Bolting is when a plant goes to seed (i.e. flowers to produce seed) too early as a result of stress.  Your plants are not bolting.

But they are, as others say, very leggy and need more light.  You can see that they have grown rapidly and bent towards the window in order to get to the light.  By the time they are able to go out, they will be very leggy indeed, and probably very intertwined with each other (if my previous experience is anything to go by!).

Sowing times depend on conditions that you can offer for germination and onward growth.  I know it's easy to want to get ahead, but for tender plants such as these then it is really too early to get strong sturdy plants.

You could try putting a piece of cardboard covered with foil behind the plants to reflect light back onto them, but don't be deceived by the amount of light available outside vs what comes through a window.  Our eyes adjust but the difference really is greater than we perceive.

You could also try potting them up individually at a depth to reduce the amount of stem visible above the compost.  But they will remain leggy.  I agree with the others that resowing in a few weeks would produce far healthier plants.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 21:10 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jambop

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 21:22 »
Well that's odd, because the seed packets indicate that they can be sown them from April onwards which is why I did so.
All my seed trays are directly in front of a large window so I'm also surprised that two of you are saying they need more light. I'm not sure how I can achieve more light when they're already in a bright room.
I think I'll persevere with these for now if you don't think they're actually bolting and if they fail I can always sow some more next month.
Many thanks!
I honestly think you are wasting your time. It would be much better to sow one seed per pot in two or three weeks time and grow them from there planting them out when the ground is warm and there is no chance of frost. What you are seeing is the result of too much heat and not enough light.

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 21:47 »
Okay, I shall bow to everyone's superior knowledge and consign these to my compost bin. I'll do as advised and sow fresh seeds in individual pots at the end of April.

Thank you for the info and advice - I'm still on a learning curve!   :D

jambop

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 08:33 »
Okay, I shall bow to everyone's superior knowledge and consign these to my compost bin. I'll do as advised and sow fresh seeds in individual pots at the end of April.

A very wise decision! You have to remember that these plants will not be planted out until the weather is frost free and the soil warm so you are thinking about end May or start of June. I certainly know even down in sunny SW France planting out beans before the end of May is very often counterproductive. Good luck with your garden.

lettice

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 08:48 »
Totally agree, it is way to early to be sowing Runner beans.
I sow them around 1st of May to get them planted out by mid May.
Not failed me in many decades of sowing them at that time.
Of course down here we do not really have to think much about last frost and low temps or whatever at that time of year for us, so maybe we are just a tad earlier sowing and planting than a lot of the country.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 08:49 by lettice »

Longshanks

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 08:52 »
Yes it is too early for runner beans. I usually plant them out on FA cup final day. However, this year I got a heated propagator for a Christmas present and was itching to try some beans. I put them in last week and they came up straightaway and look like those in the OP's photo. I've put some in a pot in the greenhouse and planted the rest to see how they go, but realising they won't survive a frost. There's nothing to lose and I'll just replant in a few weeks if necessary. I usually just put the seeds in the ground.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 12:56 »

They grow quite quickly if stated off indoors (slower if direct sown where you intend to grow them).

They are very frost or even cold wind sensitive. Here is the 'soft south' I don't put them out until the middle of May.  My seeds are still in the packet.

Longshanks

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 11:18 »
My beans survived the cold nights. I'm surprised too.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 12:45 »
Just a little note on seed packets, here in Blackpool we sow approx two to three weeks after what they state due our climate being slightly different to that down south. Our last frost date here is around May 9th-13th so we sow things like beans in time for transplanting after that date.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 18:17 »
Thanks, Aidy.
I live in a fairly mild, sheltered spot in south west Ireland. We rarely see frosts beyond March and I've never seen any in May. (I know, I know, it's now going to happen, isn't it?  ;) )
This is my first go at runner beans so, based on what people have said, I think I'll sow some seeds indoors at the end of this month with a view to planting them out when they're ready later in May.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 19:19 »
Thing is, you will very quickly realize that plants will grow quicker and healthier when conditions are right for them so there is never a rush.
I always state my spuds, we have an Irish chap, "in with Paddy out with Billy" you may of come across this yourself.
I used to follow this advise until one year I put a row of earlies in on Paddys day, I then put a second row in second week of April, I was digging my April ones the same time as my March ones and had more spuds per plant, so I just chill and wait then sow.

xx
Growing Runner bean seedlings indoors

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 11:47
by heygrow
xx
is a string bean a runner bean? and a harricot bean a butter bean?

Started by KingEdward on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 14:06
by Ice
xx
French bean & Runner bean timing advice..

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 22:18
by Ice
clip
Bean seedlings - duff batch?

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 02, 2015, 09:36
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.932 seconds with 52 queries.