Seed from err... where?

• 22 Replies

DHM

• Experienced Member
Seed from err... where?
« on: April 05, 2020, 01:26 »
Really struggling to find seeds at the moment, anyone know a supplier open to online orders at the moment?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Seed from err... where?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 07:27 »
Would help if I could, but so far had the same experience as you DHM - most online seed retailers still open for business, but seem to be out of stock, at least for what I want.

One site (can't remember which), said 'more stock arriving 8th April', but what stock, and how long it lasts, is anyone's guess at the moment.
Apart from the inevitable staffing concerns at the retailers, I think the sector has seen its fair share of panic buying too.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

wighty

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 08:01 »
Popped into Poundland yesterday and got pea, runner bean, and salad crop seeds.  Not named varieties in most cases  but at least we will have something to grow and eat (hopefully).

Ema

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 09:09 »
I ordered from Franchi seeds on Wednesday as their basil is always the best and it was posted from the UK on Thursday! So hopefully they will arrive early next week

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

Christine

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 10:42 »
I've picked up the last seeds I needed from my local garden centre who are taking orders by email, phoning up to take card payments and then delivering as soon as they can. Might be worth a try.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 10:47 »
I've picked up the last seeds I needed from my local garden centre who are taking orders by email, phoning up to take card payments and then delivering as soon as they can. Might be worth a try.
That's working round here too. :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

cc

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 12:06 »
My local garden centre is doing something different.  They are delivery vegetable plant seedlings free to some people who are then distributing them. Huge amounts.  As the seedlings are generally larger than my own and in better health I will bin my own. Neighbour was moaning couldn't get seed potatoes got him two bags and multitude of various vegetables seedlings . He appears quite happy.... so am I

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 15:30 »
Only found out this morning that Wilko's are still open for business - distancing rules strictly enforced I'm glad to say, and managed to get the seeds I needed, although there were several empty racks.
Have bought Wilkos seeds before on many occasions and never had any problem with them.

Might be worth checking yours out (not every store remains open - some aren't deemed suitable for operating the business safely.)

Mr Dog

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 19:20 »
My local Lidl had a good stock of veg (and flower) seeds a few days ago - not usually common varieties but ones I've tried in the past have always been fine.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 20:37 »
I have found the Organic Catalogue to be reliable and quick.

https://www.organiccatalogue.com/

I'm just waiting for the pea delivery to sprout and I'll be planting.  Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Christine

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 07:25 »
The Suttons Seed website is running an queuing system to get onto the website and seems to be reasonably stocked. It also seems to have the dispatch system organised.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 07:40 »
I managed to order some from Franchi (Seeds of Italy) a couple of days ago.  The website was closed as they were behind with orders, but I just refreshed the page occasionally.  Apparently they are open again at 9.30, fingers crossed! :-)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 08:59 »
The Suttons Seed website is running an queuing system to get onto the website and seems to be reasonably stocked. It also seems to have the dispatch system organised.
Technically it's an impressive feat, even my tech buiddies were going 'WOW! that's clever'

maddave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 09:59 »
Thanks for posting this. I've been struggling to get seed from anywhere.  Managed to place an order with Marshalls over 2 weeks ago.  My mother in law placed two orders in that time and has received her seed but I'm still waiting.  They wont say when they will be arriving!
Placed an order with suttons just now and they seem to have everything in stock.

Wish I'd bought my onion sets a few weeks ago when I saw them in the garden centre. They seem to be going for crazy money on ebay at the minute.  I'll be gutted if I dont get any onions in this year.

question
Runner bean seed directly in ground and plant root/seed attacks

Started by harwood7pccc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:26
by diggerjoe
xx
Cheap seed trays and seed offers

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 07:49
by lucywil
xx
spring onion seed and rocket seed

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 10:19
by AmandaLouise
xx
How do you sow seed?

Started by Asherweef on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 27, 2014, 17:10
by JayG

Page created in 1.03 seconds with 54 queries.