Chilli growing help

• 6 Replies

WeavingGryphon

Chilli growing help
« on: April 01, 2020, 12:11 »
Hello,
Can I get some advise or tips about growing chillies. The Cherry Bombs have sprouted and I need to pot them on.

Do I treat them mean with poor soil or feed them heavily?
Do I apply a liquid feed and if so how often?
Can I put them straight into 1L pots now they've sprouted or do I have to gradually increase the pot size?
How are they best watered-I read a mister is best and I've ordered one. But it's still in a warehouse so they are making do with sharing my mint tea that I forgot and went cold.
Any good fan websites you can recommend?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Chilli growing help
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 15:47 »
In the 40+ years I have grown them...
I would normally prick them out and put into 3 inch pots, they would stay in them until it is time to live out in the greenhouse full time and then transplanted to 10litre pots (but depends on variety)
I use standard everyday compost, dont over water just damp. I feed mine once every 2 weeks with Maxicrop seaweed liquid feed(brown bottle)
I would normally use this through the growing season until fruit are appearing then I swap to plain old tommy feed.
Chillies are pretty tough plants and dont need masses of care or weird and wonderfull watering systems. I water every other day standard watering can.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 16:22 »
Remember, don't transplant until the chilli has a good set of true leaves, after the coteledons.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 18:00 »
Do I put them in rich soil or poor? I've read several different books and some say rich, other's say poor.

polo71

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 19:00 »
I grew chillies for the first time last year had about 40 plants and they all went in MP compost in 10ltr pots and they got fed with Tomo right all the way thru with the odd feed of a fishmix and we had a good year with them, Don't get to much hooked up on all you read about them. We dried most of them and made chillie flakes but we also froze some and made a few ristras as well. Good tip get some brown paper bags and any that have not ripened by end of season pop in bag with some rip fruit and put on a window sill for a week or so and they will hopefully ripen.
What people seem to forget is most of the world eat chillies green not red, seems to be a western world thing red chillies. A few pics from a novice grower.
a97.jpg
a106.jpg
a148.jpg
a153.jpg
a128.jpg
a156.jpg

Ema

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 09:18 »
I would use a compost rather than garden soil.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 08:50 »
That's them all potted up that I have pots for. I seem to have harmed some of the little beaks annoyingly and the patio fire are doing nothing, so we planted more in the same pot. I'm positive that we put some in but we're got the were we distracted and not put seeds in? fear.

xx
Chilli plants not flowering or growing chilli's?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 12:12
by gobs
xx
Growing chilli's

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 09, 2013, 20:01
by hightide
xx
Chilli growing

Started by Loftuz on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 22:33
by compostqueen
xx
Growing Chilli's

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 18, 2013, 11:59
by Willow_Warren

Page created in 0.901 seconds with 43 queries.