Will last year's parsley keep going?

• 6 Replies

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
Will last year's parsley keep going?
« on: March 30, 2020, 14:30 »
Hello peeps, it's been a while since I joined in. I made it home from Spain to West Cork last week after a stressful struggle and I'm now sorting out my raised beds and sowing seeds indoors.
Last year's parsley plant is outside and it's not looking too bad so I'm hoping it will give me a crop again this year.
Should I remove the flower heads when I tidy it up?
Thanks in advance.

p.s. I did try to do a search on this topic but the function doesn't seem to be working

missmoneypenny

Re: Will last year's parsley keep going?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 16:13 »
Well done for making it home, that must have been gruelling. Poor old Spain is certainly suffering right now. Getting into the allotment must be the right thing to do to get rid of that stress.
Personally, I don’t think  the parsley will be as good as it was last year, it’s likely to be less leafy, more bushy if it’s anything like mine, which I dug out last week. I’d plant another lot to be on the safe side.

jambop

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 16:21 »
I doubt the parsley will do another year it will try to flower then die I think.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 16:42 »
You can keep it going for a little while 'til you have sown & grown replacements, but as already said, a biennial it will want to flower & die this year.

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 17:04 »
Okay, thanks for the advice. I have already sown a few parsley seeds so hopefully they'll germinate to replace the current plant.
Yes, the situation in Spain is awful. We spent the winter there and had brought the date of our return ferry crossing forward. Next thing we knew, Brittany Ferries cancelled us. Fortunately the Irish press reported that the boats were still running for freight so after lots of 'robust' conversations they finally agreed to honour our booking and repatriate us! It's a huge relief to be home to to be able to start growing vegetables to help our food supplies over the coming months.

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 18:41 »
You can keep it going for a little while 'til you have sown & grown replacements, but as already said, a biennial it will want to flower & die this year.

Yes that’s what I’m doing with some parsley I dug up from a plot that is being given back (with permission) , I replanted it & gave it a haircut so I hope it puts out some new growth until I sow some fresh in a week or 2
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 04:52 »
I had a small bed of parsley outside the greenhouse door last year which I let go to seed (which I collected). However lots of seed dropped on the bed and now I have lots of tiny seedlings which are slowly growing. I put some individual seedlings in the greenhouse and they are now producing new growth, but I expect them to start to rise to flowering in a month or so. By that time the seedlings outdoors will hopefully be producing! I use quite a lot of parsley, so it's nice to have sort of stumbled on a method of production. Isn't gardening wonderful!!

xx
Parsley

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2017, 16:59
by JayG
xx
Parsley

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 23:00
by Eblana
xx
Parsley Help

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 27, 2020, 18:40
by Vagabond
xx
parsley

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 27, 2021, 16:54
by jaydig

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 40 queries.