I can’t find compost to buy anywhere

• 40 Replies

mikem

• Experienced Member
Re: I can’t find compost to buy anywhere
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2020, 09:14 »
I didn't explain it properly in my previous post, I use it when potting up the tomatoes etc into their final pots, not with seeds or the 1st "potting on".

al78

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2020, 12:45 »
whilst I bought a few bags of compost and my tomato grow bags ahead of time as I could see how this was going :(, I have just spent the afternoon sieving compost from my 2 home compost bins. i did this mainly as i am going to need all the compost bin capacity as possible due to the size of my garden, however, the sieved compost looks beautiful....3 bags full :)

i was initially thinking of taking it to the allotment to dig in the beds, but am now thinking i may keep it to 'bulk up' my shop bought stuff with a bit of nutrients added.  this stuff has been rotting down for a few years and is mainly from grass clippings/leaves/a few bits of salad leaves, so im hoping nothing nasty could be lurking?

is this a good plan or are there some major flaws?

It is usually suggested that you shouldn't use home made compost in the initial seed compost, as it will contain pathogens that could well lead to 'damping off' of the seedlings once germinated.  Once the plants are more robust, the risks are far lower and you could mix as you suggest.

How is that issue any worse that sowing direct outside?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2020, 13:01 »
It is usually suggested that you shouldn't use home made compost in the initial seed compost, as it will contain pathogens that could well lead to 'damping off' of the seedlings once germinated.  Once the plants are more robust, the risks are far lower and you could mix as you suggest.

How is that issue any worse that sowing direct outside?

I did express my view on this recently in another thread:

Sowing indoors gives you more control over temperature and moisture, but less over humidity, which can lead to damping off.
Using sterilised compost keeps the balance tipped in your favour by ensuring you're not importing the pathogens which cause it.

Outdoor conditions are usually far less humid on average, so seedlings have a reasonable chance of avoiding the problem despite the likely presence of pathogens in the soil.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

missmoneypenny

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2020, 14:24 »
@Gleavo, where is the compost coming back into ( please please please say Sainsbury’s/ Lidl).

Gleavo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2020, 15:45 »
Sorry Moneypenny - It's Aldi - following on from my previous reply... No Aldi by you?

I wouldn't worry too much yet. Tesco by me has lots now - I've a feeling the supermarkets are just playing catch-up with some stuff after their last hectic three weeks. I've seen it in B&M here and Home Bargains (large North West discount shop chain). I'm just waiting for Aldi because they do peat-free at a good price.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2020, 20:08 »
Thanks for your encouragement Gleavo. Husband actually found some in a Lidl but it’s for hanging baskets and tubs. If contains an agent for keeping soil moist. Would this be OK for planting on tomato plantlets?

OakR

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2020, 22:02 »
I have just ordered some from Wickes with some other bits I need - delivery is 24th April. I think they were out of stock before but not 100%.

I also saw Argos that has a branch in Sainsbury's had some available immediately (this is SouthEast London, Sydenham).

Gleavo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2020, 09:03 »
@Missmoneypenny

Good old hubster! Toms should be good in that (may save you watering do often!).

Martin70

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2020, 09:08 »
I had my bags delivered by Wickes yesterday - was about a week's wait.

Am still waiting for my seeds to arrive though from elsewhere hope they come soon.

Martin70

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2020, 10:27 »
I had my bags delivered by Wickes yesterday - was about a week's wait.

Am still waiting for my seeds to arrive though from elsewhere hope they come soon.

And my neighbour has come to my rescue with some spare seeds. Am so looking forward to spending time outside in the garden this weekend.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2020, 20:08 »
I found a 15L bag of MPC in Wilkos today  :). So all’s well. Like everyone else I am looking forward to some thorough  allotmenteering this weekend.

xx
Find me a carrot

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 28, 2008, 22:38
by WG.
xx
were can i find a chart

Started by krystal on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 06, 2011, 21:18
by mumofstig
xx
Crazy idea - you may find useful.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 01, 2012, 19:15
by chrissie B
xx
Ever grown something you wanted, only to find out it was something else?

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 22:42
by Scotch Thistle

Page created in 0.465 seconds with 48 queries.