I can’t find compost to buy anywhere

• 40 Replies

missmoneypenny

I can’t find compost to buy anywhere
« on: March 28, 2020, 15:05 »
Some of my seedlings will soon need potting on and I have used up all my fresh compost. None in Sainsbury’s, Lidl etc. Wickes have plenty but frustratingly wont sell me any because “ it’s not an essential item”.
I have old soil left from last year, for example in the pots I had basil and cherry tomatoes in, in my back yard. I also have John innes germinating compost. Could I use this + last years used compost for eg potting on my tomatoes, before they make it to the allotment in May? Thanks for any advice.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: I can’t find compost to buy anywhere
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 17:16 »
Seed compost has low nutrient value, as of course will your used MP compost - when push comes to shove, as it appears to have done for you and potentially many others, you could re-use your old compost, giving the mixture a boost with a general purpose fertiliser before use.
Obviously you need to be reasonably confident that you wouldn't be carrying over any pests or diseases from last year.

I'm a little concerned about the situation myself, having virtually no fresh MP compost and still needing quite a few varieties of fresh seeds to sow in about a month (just discovered that despite being an online company, Premier Seeds Direct has suspended operations to protect its staff, which you can't argue with under the present circumstances.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jambop

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 17:36 »
You may have thought of this already but why not use what old and reclaimed compost you do have mixed with some sieved garden soil mixed 40/60 or even 30/70 if you want the compost to go further with the addition of a little general fertiliser or chicken manure. I would have no hesitation doing that and after all the soil will find its way back into the ground :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 17:39 by jambop »

jezza

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 10:53 »
Hello I've got an email from a horticultural wholesaler  called LBSthat they are allowing the general public to access there site for compost plant pots and all their online catalogue products for home delivery. .jezza

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 11:16 »
Poundstretcher still had compost on sale yesterday, don't know which make or type. I had to venture out for essentials, none of the supermarkets had the usual display of compost either.
And if like me, you also needed tinned tomatoes they had plenty of them too!

missmoneypenny

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 11:29 »
Thanks for this all. I also tried wickes delivery- no delivery slots at all.
So went to LBS and have ordered 3* 50L bags and some blood fish and bone. I have to say they are expensive, this set me back 47 pounds with delivery fee .However I am not keen to go to poundstretcher as I am in London and the local one is always crowded, and I don’t have a car. As you can see I’m trying to justify to myself spending so much money! Still it’s an essential product. Good luck everyone.

jambop

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 11:50 »
Thanks for this all. I also tried wickes delivery- no delivery slots at all.
So went to LBS and have ordered 3* 50L bags and some blood fish and bone. I have to say they are expensive, this set me back 47 pounds with delivery fee .However I am not keen to go to poundstretcher as I am in London and the local one is always crowded, and I don’t have a car. As you can see I’m trying to justify to myself spending so much money! Still it’s an essential product. Good luck everyone.
Well of course I have no idea how far they are travelling to deliver ... but that is a bit expensive for 150L of compost and a bit of BFB. I bought 500L of what they call horticultural grade compost it is really for building up your soil. It cost me €18 so I was not expecting much... opened up a bag and was very surprised and pleased with the quality. It probably does not have much feeding power but I was using it for the intended purpose ... I know none of that helps you though but the punchline is with regards to delivery I collected in my car... which cost a lot of money... I hate to think how much the delivery of that compost was when you factor 45k € plus insurance and then diesel... I reckon you got a bargin  :lol:
Stay safe and prosper

missmoneypenny

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 13:54 »
Thanks Jambop. Live long and prosper too  :)

Steveharford

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 14:04 »
I placed an order with wickes this morning. Delivery in about 2 weeks. I believe the Range and B and M still have some also.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 14:11 »
That’s lucky Steve. There are no Wickes delivery slots in my south London area, and since this morning compost is now out of stock on the website  :(

jezza

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 15:09 »
Hello LBS are in Colne Lancashire   it'll be quality compost and 25 kg of Blood fish and bone jezza

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 16:49 »
Wickes have plenty but frustratingly wont sell me any because “ it’s not an essential item”.
I have old soil left from last year, for example in the pots I had basil and cherry tomatoes in, in my back yard. I also have John innes germinating compost. Could I use this + last years used compost for eg potting on my tomatoes, before they make it to the allotment in May? Thanks for any advice.

That conflicts with what our garden centre of choice said at 11:55am, so it's up to date. They will sell compost, seeds, manure, veg seed but not plant misters. Those aren't essential and all bought up by the NHS.
So, try a garden centre.

Christine

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 17:46 »
Unfortunately most garden centres are shut at present aren't they? They aren't critical and most of them have decided that they won't deliver as it's unnecessary travel.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2020, 17:48 »
Yes, I haven’t checked comprehensively but our local GC is closed and not doing deliveries.

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2020, 19:02 »
Our local B & Q has compost in 125ltr bags. Can't remember what the price was, but it wasn't all that bad, and it seems decent stuff. However, I almost popped my rivets lifting the damn stuff into the back of the car. Where is the son in law when you need him?

xx
were can i find a chart

Started by krystal on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 06, 2011, 21:18
by mumofstig
xx
Find me a carrot

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 28, 2008, 22:38
by WG.
xx
I am still struggling to find out what my raspberries are

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 08:49
by Beetroot queen
xx
Things you find in the countryside!

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 22:37
by pookey

Page created in 0.477 seconds with 53 queries.