BEST LEEKS FOR OVER WINTERING

• 19 Replies

cc

BEST LEEKS FOR OVER WINTERING
« on: March 12, 2020, 13:54 »
As per subject
 Looking for leeks I can leave in the ground and pick through the winter.
Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: BEST LEEKS FOR OVER WINTERING
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 14:06 »
I grow these and still have a few on the plot, mind you this has not been a hard winter, but they've come through cold and snow before with no problems.
Leek Below Zero is a high quality British bred leek with good vigour and very good extreme cold tolerance that can withstand the harshest of winters. Below Zero produces quality long length white shafts with erect dark blue-green erect foliage, and offering good disease resistance
These leeks are sold in a lot of places, but the quote is from https://www.simplyseed.co.uk/leek-seeds/below-zero.html

jambop

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 16:28 »
I as I said before grow leeks bought at the local market at €6 for a hundred they are a no brain'er I think there are  blue Solaise  and they are reputed to be hardy... more I cannot say... in the utmost of sincerity and friendliness  :lol:

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 17:16 »
we are growing three varieties this season nipper and giant winter and oarsman we usually grow Musselburgh I would have preferred to grow pelleted leak seed but as I had already bought the above varieties maybe next year a packet of pelleted seed would be £4.85 to £6.10 depending on the variety for 500 pellets

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 17:21 »
"Leek 'Blauwgroene Winter - Bandit'"

Never been let down yet - they'll stand all sorts of weather and we used to give the last few to an Easter Charity for a mammoth soup day...

cc

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 12:25 »
I as I said before grow leeks bought at the local market at €6 for a hundred they are a no brain'er I think there are  blue Solaise  and they are reputed to be hardy... more I cannot say... in the utmost of sincerity and friendliness  :lol:
Yet again "BEST LEEKS FOR OVER WINTERING"
I have no interest in your "I can buy pre grown leeks at the market €6" i don't intend on travelling to Europe  to buy part grown leeks. Its actually not the definition of gardening.
Thank you to everyone who supplied me with useful info. I have noted it down as the moderators will soon remove this post.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 13:08 »
Yet again "BEST LEEKS FOR OVER WINTERING"
I have no interest in your "I can buy pre grown leeks at the market €6" i don't intend on travelling to Europe  to buy part grown leeks. Its actually not the definition of gardening.
Thank you to everyone who supplied me with useful info. I have noted it down as the moderators will soon remove this post.

Why so agressive? He was merely stating what he does, which may be helpful to other readers here.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 13:35 »
I've grown Blue Solaise here in Wales - decent results.
As for removing posts, we try and keep a civil, friendly forum. Rudeness and hostility are not welcomed. We reserve the right to remove posting privileges from members.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 15:42 »
I've grown Blue Solaise here in Wales - decent results.

I have grow them as well and they were OK, but the outer leaves did get a bit of rust on them.  Musselburgh are one I have grown a few times.  They are very hardy, stand for ages and they make nice big leeks that really taste leeky. I know that sounds daft, but some are a bit insipid for my taste  :)

jambop

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 16:54 »

For what ever reason this thread has been labeled unfriendly ... which I personally find unhelpful. However for the attention of CC my suggestion is to try Blue Solaise they are winter hardy and I grow them. The text below is lifted directly from an eminent UK  seed suppliers website describing said leeks.

Leek Heirloom Blue De Solaise
An old French Heirloom winter variety – long leeks with blue-grey leaves far more vigorous than ‘Musselborough’ and equally hardy. Very cold-resistant turning darker after frost and a good one for standing overwinter even in atrocious weather.

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 17:44 »
I'm still pulling up 'Musselburgh' amd 'winner' varieties, I've gone with 'giant winter' seeds this year.

lettice

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 08:19 »
I've grown Musselburgh leeks for many years.
Just picked a load this morning and will be doing so for another Month or so too.
I like them as they all grow to a good size and stay like that from Autumn to Early Spring harvesting.

rowlandwells

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 09:11 »
can i pick your brains please  :)because i haven't quite got growing leeks rite 'call myself a gardener' i wish  :nowink: anyway leeks yes we grow leeks from seed but i can never ever get leeks with good shafts so what an i doing wrong folks  :(

perhaps more manure? a balanced fertilizer?  should i sow them in a ridge?  do you ridge your leeks am i sowing the leek seed to late and can we get early leeks?

your replies will be most welcome RW

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 09:40 »
Getting them to a good size before you plant them out seems to be the key Rowland and DD is our resident guru on that.  Have a look here

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26363.0

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2020, 10:02 »
can i pick your brains please  :)…... can we get early leeks?

John has recommended a few early varieties here, although I think it'll be too late now to sow them for this year.
https://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/leeks-growing/

xx
Over-wintering

Started by NorfolkVeg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 21:17
by mumofstig
xx
over wintering veg

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 08, 2012, 18:31
by Grubbypaws
xx
Wintering over?

Started by Lula on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 06, 2009, 14:34
by noshed
xx
over-wintering chillis

Started by SUTTY1 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 21:03
by doubledug

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 55 queries.