Tomato virus in the news

• 8 Replies

jambop

Tomato virus in the news
« on: March 06, 2020, 22:33 »

I have been reading today of a tomato virus that has been found in France for the first time. It is said to be very virulent and plants and fruit have to be destroyed by burning and tools etc disinfected and the ground not used for some time. It has been found before in the UK, NL, D and Es as well as in the Americas. Don't know whether to be worried or not... they say it can be carried in the seeds of tomatoes so one has to be careful when purchasing seed! I still have seed from last year but might choose to save seed now.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Tomato virus in the news
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 10:01 »
At present in the UK, t's only in the big commercial glasshouses, it seems. So maybe not a good idea to save seeds from your favourite supermarket variety any more :(

UK tomato industry hit by first case of ToBRFV
and
https://www.greenhousegrower.com/production/tobrfv-a-new-tomato-virus-in-town/

Ema

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 22:12 »
Hmm not bought any tomato seeds yet worrying tines

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 06:19 »
They had apparently found it in https://www.thanetearth.com/our-products/tomatoesThanet Earth in July  2018! (Many thanks Gurgle).

Now, if they've managed to contain it, I'll rest happy. They supply Tesco around here, and certainly lots more outlets!

But many thanks for the heads-up, Jambop!

jambop

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 08:56 »

I think the thing to be borne in mind here is that things can happen that you would not expect. I NEVER buy tomato plants I grow my own. I think that this is a situation that gardeners should be aware of BUT not be frightened of. If were are sensible and do what good gardeners do and observe our gardens properly things should be OK. For my two pence I would say buy certified seed, if you buy only buy from reputable sources and do not accept tomato or pepper plants from well wishing co gardeners.

Dr_Pepper

• Good Life Horticulture
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 23:01 »
Hi all,

I work in the biological crop protection industry. ToBRFV is a massive concern for all commercial growers at the moment.

Luckily in this country we have very stringent hygiene regulations for greenhouse visitors so the risk is controlled as much as possible.

I recommend the AHDB website if you have an interest https://ahdb.org.uk/knowledge-library/tomato-brown-rugose-fruit-virus.

Very sensible to only buy seed from reputable suppliers and try to resist the temptation to touch anyone else's plants at the allotment.

Any other questions, feel free to fire them my way ;)

jambop

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 08:18 »
So Dr Pepper would you say that this virus is more of a concern for commercial growers ? I grow all my own tomato plants so for me the immediate sources of infection are  seeds and compost . If seeds are properly controlled and tested that leaves the compost. Is compost likely to be a major concern? Is compost tested for any plant pathogens or chemical contamination ? I live in France I do see the product info on the compost bags and it is supposed to be made and tested to a French national standard but I do wonder how rigorously these standards are applied. Then of course we have the pollinators are they likely to be able to transmit the virus from plant to plant? 

Dr_Pepper

• Good Life Horticulture
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 10:26 »
Yes it is more of a concern for commercial growers - they are at risk due to the amount of people and equipment that moves around as part of the growing, packing and export/supply chain activities.
It is possible to be transmitted via seed but as you say, buying from a reputable supplier (check with them what they do to control the risk of virus transmission) is key.
Compost is not widely used in commercial growing (usually stone fibre and cocopeat bags) but it is definitely possible that it could be a source - again the compost producer should have some form of virus-control protocol as part of their production methods.
For pollinators, there is a study that shows bumblebees can spread this (and other) viruses; however what we see in the field is that the virus spreads down rows rather that randomly. this suggests the staff touching the plants is the major virus vector rather than the bees.

jambop

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 10:48 »
Excellent information thanks!

question
Tomato virus in compost?

Started by dcr09 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2016, 11:01
by dcr09
xx
Tomato Virus? PICS ADDED

Started by Big Jen on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 16, 2008, 22:27
by gobs
xx
Good News and Bad News

Started by Dawnte on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 12:03
by Dawnte
xx
leafroll virus

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 20:57
by Iain@JBA

Page created in 1.055 seconds with 47 queries.