Stock Piling

• 238 Replies

Growster...

Re: Stock Piling
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2020, 12:07 »
Back in my earlier days the only time we started panic buying was when the bartender rang a bell and yelled "last orders"...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2020, 12:08 »
I was in our local M*rrisons this morning - one lady had already got about 7 or 8 packets of the large (9 roll) toilet rolls in her trolley and was going back for more.  I casually pointed out the notice which said only 2 packets per person.  She looked rather disgruntled …

And then she tried to push in front of me at the queue for the checkouts  :ohmy: I can tell you I wasn't having any of that  :mad: :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2020, 12:20 »
Er, would your reply to the ignorant one have anything to do with your name and where you live, Yorkie...?

Well done that Gal! Love it!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2020, 12:42 »
I was very polite at all times, I'll have you know!!

But at the checkout, when I saw her trying to nudge the trolley in at an angle, I stuck like glue to the people in front of me whilst planning what I would say if needed … it wasn't needed so I then felt a bit deflated!  ::) :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2020, 13:37 »
Good for you Yorkie!
New shoot: I did think the other day that dried pulses would be a good buy if you don't have any.
Luckily I still have some dried stuff in the cupboards, plus tins of various, cheap tinned tomatoes, beans and chickpeas I've been eating on my Fast 800 diet.
Luckily, I did a sneaky repeat order for these, just before the worst of the panic buying started...
So what with all the 'non-diet' food in the freezers, bread flour, yeast, dried fruit etc in the pantry - I could probably feed myself for months on end, if push came to shove  :lol:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2020, 14:11 »
I did my usual weekly shop yesterday and got to S/burys at about 12.30.    You couldn't stock pile if you wanted to.   There was nothing on the shelves   :ohmy:      I spoke to the lady cashier who I know through my shop.  She said that from the time the store opened until about 12 noon, it was a lot worse that Christmas.  So many people it was jam packed, and she couldn't see the back of the store.    I just had my usuals minus a few which weren't available  :nowink:  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2020, 16:14 »
Next will be a rice shortage, I suppose if people can't get their pasta fix  :D

Local shop have been out since Tuesday. Except for the small bags of fancy expensive risotto just add water bags.

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2020, 19:15 »
I've just been into asda. It was nuts, they had no toilet paper at all. Reluctantly i headed for the checkout and asked if they had any, a firm no was the answer. Walking back to the toilets with my pants and trousers round my ankles was a walk i never want to do again. 😂😂

wighty

« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2020, 19:52 »
Talking to my daughter last night (who lives in Eastbourne) she had me crying with laughter.  She has three young boys, herself and her husband to 'cater' for.  They are finding loo roll a problem as young children do tend to use more than is needed.  Her answer ' I have a carrier bag of odd socks that I can't match up, we can use them, wash them and put them back in the bag!' :nowink:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2020, 21:34 »
We heard one shop had loads of toilet roll no one was buying so we shot down...
post-188-069914000 1296209762.jpg
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2020, 01:08 »
Suddenly thought, we should have stocked up a few ready meals. Easy to zap in the micro if we're ill.
Daughter's going to be miffed though, we've left the freezer with the meat in it to the cats :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2020, 01:13 »
Terrible news on the stockpiling front. The Old Tom reserves have depleted rather earlier than expected, I doubt they'll be any left by tomorrow.  :D

Growster...

« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2020, 06:49 »
Aidy, I seem to remember that the old term printed underneath was 'Germicide'...

Ooooh, that rustle...

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2020, 09:14 »
Aidy, I seem to remember that the old term printed underneath was 'Germicide'...

Ooooh, that rustle...
It is a not so fond memory of me grans in Nottingham, you had to enter the house through the back door, left to the kitchen and right into the toilet, she always had it  :ohmy: Sha was an amazing cook and taught me a lot, me grandad had his veggie garden and it was he that got me into growing food.

Growster...

« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2020, 09:52 »
Loo rolls are the last use in the paper re-cycling chain, and presumably, Izal was a heavier paper than tissue, hence the current best-use.

I can remember at school, having those blocks of folded paper nailed to the wall, and all the sheets fluttering to the floor after a few seconds in the dark, trying to find the loose end...

Mind you, Kleenex and others try to hide all the opening edges, so you finish up with a fistful, so they learned fast...

xx
Stock-piling

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post June 14, 2020, 14:37
by Growster...
xx
Trading Hut Stock

Started by Christine on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post June 08, 2022, 16:24
by Christine

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 54 queries.