Stock Piling

• 238 Replies

GraciesGran

Re: Stock Piling
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2020, 06:33 »
Granddaughter, age 8, is in state of panic.  Having decided we are all going to die she wants to eat all her Easter eggs now so her brother doesn't get them not do they go to waste.

So pleased she has her priorities right.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2020, 10:55 »
I think the shops have been trying not to impose too many restrictions because it doesn't endear them to customers and there was a hope that reasonable requests to stop the madness would work.

There are restrictions coming in now where I work and if they don't do the trick, I expect more to follow.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2020, 11:55 »
yesterday I. The 7-8 slot for oldster, couples were going in with a trolley and list each and pretending they weren't together.    Not fair only one of me 😩    Mrs bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2020, 12:07 »
yesterday I. The 7-8 slot for oldster, couples were going in with a trolley and list each and pretending they weren't together.    Not fair only one of me 😩    Mrs bouquet

That isn't really fair Mrs B, but there are steps going into place that should mean the shelves get fuller.  The number of items you can buy will be restricted on-line and in shop in most places.  Also at my place, they are not worrying too much about having every single thing (usually something you get measured on) and putting more emphasis on filling the lorries with basics.  I believe some lines are even being dropped in the production  plants to ensure they steam on with making lots of a fewer things.

There is a lot of stock around and I honestly don't believe there is any need to have any more than a bit of a buffer in your home.  Stock piling is anti-social, selfish and greedy.  Sorry to sound off, but people need to be more aware of the effects on those who are unable to get what they actually need  :mad:

Check around with your WI friends and other groups.  There are lots of voluntary things starting up now.  You should register with one at least, in case you need some help with shopping at any point  :)

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2020, 19:46 »
   There is no conspiracy theory 're supermarkets. I've worked at 1 for 22 years. We are fed up with being hauranged while we put new stock out. Some items go out first thing but we've decided between us not to put it all out but stagger it through the day. E.g.. We had a shipper of hand gel and only put a quarter out. The rest went out throughout the day enabling regular customers who come in through the day to buy it. We do this with pasta, rice, soap, toilet roll etc. We aren't doing it to make ppl go in, we are doing it to actually help ppl.We are also letting laps know that if there was something they couldn't get we may have it in the warehouse. Also keep in mind that while most other ppl are working from home or having the luxury of self isolation we are having to still sit behind a till, much less than 6ft away from customers who lick their fingers before giving you the notes, cough and sneeze over you, keep money in their bras and once I had 50p off an old bloke with a pube on it.. If you are eating thank a supermarket cashier.😡

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2020, 20:33 »
Very well put RubyRed. Anytime this week I've visited our local store I've taken the time to ask the staff how they're getting on and thanking them for going above and beyond, despite some downright unpleasantness from some customers. Earlier today I emailed the store manager to pass on a thanks to all the staff. I hope more people take the time to do the same and let you guys know you are really appreciated.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2020, 20:52 »
One of the supermarkets is concentrating its production and focusing on essentials , including sausages of which they normally sell 60 varieties!  As Nick Knowles might say ' name them '  ;).
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

grinling

« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2020, 23:12 »
Village new letter today was to tell Steve at the shop what you want and he will deliver. Bread comes in daily,milkman can also deliver bread, eggs etc. Butcher drops of meat twice a week,so just ask for what you need.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2020, 11:37 »
An actual milk man is advertising here! Will be handy for people self isolating.
Still no passata but I managed to get a few bars of soap and some broccoli and sweetcorn. Milk, handwash (quelle suprise), pasta, rice and soup mix were out and so was bubble bath.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #129 on: March 22, 2020, 08:00 »
If people have babies or small children and are struggling with a lack of wet wipes or toilet roll there are reusable wipes which are great. We used them on Youngest, only regret was not using them on Eldest.

https://www.thenappylady.co.uk/washable-wipes.html

mrs bouquet

« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2020, 11:27 »
Ration books !!!!!!!    M
Mrs bouquet

Goosegirl

Short of loo-rolls etc?
« Reply #131 on: March 22, 2020, 13:09 »
I thought I'd posted this and another one in a post the other day but can't find them. Mods, just GG's funny take on the current situation but alter or delete as necessary.

1) Run out of loo-rolls? Just do what they used to do in the old days. Get a wire coat-hanger and slightly squash it. Get your old newspapers etc, a hole-puncher, a pair of scissors and several pieces of strong piece of twine. Cut the paper into four pieces, punch a hole in one end, thread your twine through the holes and repeat until you've almost run out of twine. Attach the coat-hanger hook onto your loo-roll holder then tie the ends of the twine onto the bottom of the hanger. BTW, GG does not take any responsibility of what papers you use and neither does she care if your rear end gets an imprint from a page three pic.
2) Run out of soap? Get a packet of Soapwort (a.k.a.(Saponaria officinalis) and then follow the instructions. Can't wait? Buy as many packets of nuts as you can then remove their shells and put them into a blender or whatever you have available. Find some old moisturising cream and mix it with the nut granules then enjoy! BTW, GG does not take any responsibility if you get an unexpected Brazilian tan.
3) Being serious, please just do three things for me. Ring your loved ones to see if they're ok. Get a carrier bag, fill it with goodies then leave it on someone's doorstep who you know will appreciate that act of kindness. The last thing I want you to know is how we've always worked together in times of crisis. As long as we stand together we will survive.

I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2020, 13:55 »
Remember not to flush the wet wipes.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2020, 14:48 »
The local supermarket has started to shut down the pizza counter at times because they need the staff to stock shelves instead of making pizza.

I'm stopping by the customer services desk as well as shop staff and asking how they are doing with the rush as well as it must be stressful and telling them to look after themselves.

When I went in at 9am yesterday (still hoping for passata) a pensioner was screaming at her son "Did ye not tell her that charity begins at home?" I walked past singing the frog song to myself (We ALL, stand, TOGETHER"). The son who wasn't pensioner age must have gone in with her at 8am to help her had his own separate trolley filled to the brim.

I'm going to be baking 3x banana breads later to bring around to some pensioner friends we have. If I can get near them.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: March 22, 2020, 19:46 »
I thought I'd posted this and another one in a post the other day but can't find them.

It is here GG and there was a half finished version on the Growsterhack thread, which I have removed.

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=131824.msg1528162#msg1528162

It is quite easy to find your own posts.  If you go to your profile, you can see all your posts in date order.

Mods ... alter or delete as necessary.

The mods here are all volunteers who help on the forum in their own spare time  ;) 

xx
Stock-piling

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post June 14, 2020, 14:37
by Growster...
xx
Trading Hut Stock

Started by Christine on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post June 08, 2022, 16:24
by Christine

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 52 queries.