High winds

• 6 Replies

Stringbags

High winds
« on: February 12, 2020, 21:01 »
I am wondering if , in high winds as we have had recently, is it best to leave the doors and windows open to allow the wind to blow through or to close up and hope that the glass does not pop out or the plastic rip in the polytunnel.

rowlandwells

Re: High winds
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 09:01 »
I would be a bit carful doing this what we did was to put a scaffold net [heavy duty] over the tunnel and fix it to the ground although the tunnel has had a bashing with the winds the cover is  still fixed and not moved an inch

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 19:37 »
I would close doors.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 20:03 »
I would close doors.
Agreed, If the wind gets into the tunnel it could have a lifting effect as it expands out from the narrow doorway into the wider tunnel, further straining the tensile strength of the frame.

al78

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 23:33 »
I had minor damage to my greenhouse from windstorm Ciara. I have put the panel back in place and stuck it down with some very strong adhesive. That should be enough to cope with windstorm Dennis due on Saturday and Sunday.

WP_20200214_001.jpg

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 01:57 »
A Friend and I are conducting an experiment, we've wrapped gaffa tape around his greenhouse to secure all the polycarbonate panels in place ahead of the wind. I'm pretty sure that gaffa tape is more powerfull than any storm :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 09:10 »
A Friend and I are conducting an experiment, we've wrapped gaffa tape around his greenhouse to secure all the polycarbonate panels in place ahead of the wind. I'm pretty sure that gaffa tape is more powerfull than any storm :D

HaHa - Good luck!

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 48 queries.