Overwintered tomatoes anyone?

• 10 Replies

Auntiemogs

Overwintered tomatoes anyone?
« on: February 01, 2020, 12:23 »
Over the past couple of years I've been really struggling to get hold of my favourite F1 tomato seed (Orange Paruche).  As an F1, they've never been cheap, but there doesn't seem to be much for sale apart from buying plants (at a price!). 

So, I decided to experiment and took a few side shoots from my best plant and popped them in a glass of water on the kitchen windowsill.  They've spent the winter in small pots, and although they're not as leggy as I'd expected I took the tops off half of them (and put them in water - you can see where this is going... :lol:) to see what happens. 

Has anyone had any success with overwintering?  There are some flower buds starting to form, but I suspect it would be better to nip these off for now?

AM  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Growster...

Re: Overwintered tomatoes anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 06:23 »
I've done that a couple of years ago, Auntie, and it does work!

The plants look, and probably feel, a bit groggy when they get planted out, but they'll pick up soon enough!

I think you're right about the flowers, as they'll get in the way of new growth, but well done you for getting them going again!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 10:45 »
I think starting with fresh cuttings from the overwintered plants is a great idea.  I used to have scented leaf geranium I kept going like that for years.  The overwintered cuttings would look leggy by spring but yielded excellent material for making good plants the next spring.

You have given me food for thought with the blight resistant toms I use out on the plot  :) The seeds are not cheap and unlike all my other toms, they are F1 as well.

Ema

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 22:21 »
Interested to hear how they do over the year!

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 07:36 »
I saved some Crimson Crush seed one year, News, and although they were supposed to be F1, I tried the seed the following year.

I finished up with two very different varieties, one which succumbed to blight as usual, the other famously stayed the course!

There's a post from a couple of years ago somewhere, but I can't find it - it's not really worth searching any more, as the pics are just 'pics' of toms, but the leaf formation was very different!

Worth a try methinks, but the toms weren't all that special flavour-wise, although, of course, were better than none!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 11:57 »
I grow my tomatoes for eating fresh at home in the greenhouse Mr G, but Ferline and Crimson Crush are great on the plot for sauce production. 

I've also invested in some Crimson Blush this year, which are a new beefsteak blight resistant type.  It will be interesting to see what they are like   :)

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 06:28 »
Found 'em!

The leaf formation was more 'spudlike', and the second pic shows the other type going south pretty quickly, while the foreground toms thrived and were fine!

(Climbing frame - £6.00, Kent Garden Centre, Maidstone, c1978...)!
P1110525.JPG
P1110524.JPG

Auntiemogs

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 12:30 »
Well,  first batch of plants are a bit 'leggy', as expected at this time of year and are in the light box. 

I keep nipping the flowers out, but I don't know if this will cause problems later on (we will see).

Second batch of rooted side shoots will be potted up today, so I'll try to post some photo's later.

I do seem to be getting quite a lot of potential plants, but will probably sow a few seeds 'just in case' it all goes horribly wrong!  ::)

Growster, in my desperation for seed last year, I bought some from a seller who was advertising 'Orange Paruche' on Ebay and Amazon.  It was only when they arrived that I thought to ask about their hybrid status.  Then there was a lengthy (slightly heated) conversation when the seller told me that they were 'F2' and would 'come true'.  I only have a small amount of space, so not much room for experimentation.  The conversation ended with him telling me that he didn't want to sell to me and a refund.  I was gutted!  ;)

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 15:06 »
Moggie...fear thee not, you're way ahead of those charlatans!

Pop your normal seed into normal pots and you'll be fine!

Toms never do anything until my birthday (July 19th), so feel free to get some from your local GC and away you go!

Keep going our Gal x

Auntiemogs

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 16:47 »
Well, the biggest problem I've found with this is knowing where to draw the line!   ::)

I now have 2 dozen plants (including the original side shoots from last year) on the go. 

The first batch of side shoots I rooted in water were potted up and became very leggy and outgrew the light box, so I've pruned them down to 3 branches and will see how they get on.  I can always use them for more plants if needed (!).....

Batch 2 were planted deep in the 9cm pots, and are now around 6" tall, so I may have to lop them at some point if it's too cold for the greenhouse.

Batch 3 have been planted deep in the 9cm pots this week, so they are around 2-3 inches tall.

I planted a couple of side shoots without rooting in water first, and can't see much difference tbh.

I've had enough for now, so have cut back the side shoots I started with last year and put them with the other plants.  I'm still nipping out flower buds/side shoots as they appear.

Tomato.JPG

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 21:15 »
Wow! You're taking over for Fannit Earff!

Fabulous results here, well done you!

Be prepared to supply Twongos and Snazzos by springtime!

xx
Overwintered Peppers

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2015, 17:35
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Overwintered Garlic

Started by DHM on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 17, 2019, 13:06
by DHM
xx
Overwintered spuds.

Started by Stree on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 17:46
by Jonajo
xx
Overwintered Onions

Started by lotstolearn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 11:54
by DD.

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 49 queries.