sloping plot

• 10 Replies

Green Goddess

sloping plot
« on: February 09, 2008, 09:18 »
Hi everyone

I have been reading the forum and would like some advice please.  I have a plot that is on a slop and very uneven.  my husband says it should be leveled out is that correct?  Just read that if it slopes the water guzzling plants benfit at the bottom :?

Martin

• Experienced Member
sloping plot
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 09:32 »
Take care if you do decide to level it.

My garden is on quite a steep slope, so I decided to level it into two terraces. So the back of the terrace is cut into the ground by about 2 feet. What I hadn't realised though, is that I had only about 9 inches of decent soil, under which was sticky clay with fist sized stones in it.

I've spent the last couple of years improving the soil and trying to get the stones out...

I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.  :)
Martin

Green Goddess

sloping plot
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 09:36 »
thanks Martin
I have found lots of whole bricks!

upthetump

• Experienced Member
sloping plot
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 12:10 »
I'm in the middle of building raised beds at the moment but have quite a short steep slope to contend with. What i'm planning to do is "wall" up from the bottom and level it with the top of the slope and fill it with manure, peelings, anything. Hopefully, this will become my asparagus bed. You could level off your plot in stages to give you a series of 'steps' which should even out your water distribution. Just an idea anyone see a flaw in it? all comments welcome.

Rob the rake

sloping plot
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 13:13 »
Quote from: "upthetump"
I'm in the middle of building raised beds at the moment but have quite a short steep slope to contend with. What i'm planning to do is "wall" up from the bottom and level it with the top of the slope and fill it with manure, peelings, anything. Hopefully, this will become my asparagus bed. You could level off your plot in stages to give you a series of 'steps' which should even out your water distribution. Just an idea anyone see a flaw in it? all comments welcome.

Sounds good to me, raised beds across the slope will give you a level surface. There's a fair bit of work involved, but it will definitely be worth it. And yes, there will be a lower depth of soil on the higher side, but you can get round this, with a bit of extra effort.

I would take off the topsoil over your proposed bed area, level the subsoil and then replace the topsoil. I've done this before and it worked very well for me.

If you break up the subsoil and add bulky organics (half-made compost is ideal, you want something fibrous which breaks down slowly) it will open up the texture and allow much better rooting and drainage. You are not adding the fibrous matter for it's manurial benefit, but simply to keep the structure of the subsoil open. It will be many, many years before you need to dig again. You may never have to.

As I have already said, it will be a lot of effort, but will reward you in spades (no pun intended :wink:)  in subsequent years.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

sweet nasturtium

sloping plot
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 15:54 »
Rob that sounds like major excavation works to me!  Worrying cos I also have thin topsoil layer.  The clay subsoil is pretty much solid and goes down I don't know how far

But it makes sense.  Last year I made some beds by just diggin down and then piling the soil up into mounds (no edging), and although it worked for that crop, by the end of the year it had levelled itself.

gobs

sloping plot
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 18:51 »
How big the angle of the slope is I think, Green Goddess, if you do or don't want to do anything about, little slope is good.

Being foreign, I don't know what a slop is mind, might be messing up here. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Trillium

sloping plot
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 18:56 »
I have a very uneven soil on a gentle slope. The 'top' of the bed is shallow in good soil and quickly hits hard clay and stones. But I take a strong garden fork and plunge it deep into the subsoil to simply loosen and aerate it a bit. Helps in the long run as year by year I pile up more humus matter on the thinner part. For now I try to plant mostly shallow crops like lettuce, peas and garlic in the 'top' section and deeper rooting plants in the lower area which has about 2 spades depth of decent soil. This is only an 8 ft (less than 3m) width so you can imagine the clay slope below.

flash

sloping plot
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 19:40 »
I'm in Bristol and in slippy conditions the plot I have is on such a slope I can stand still at the top on the grass path and glide without trying (or wanting to) end up near the bottom. The old guys around me seem to split the plots and put wooden barriers through the plots to stop the top soil sliding down, seems to work and it would be too "interesting" to terrace

DeadlyNightshade

• Experienced Member
sloping plot
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 20:25 »
I've qite a bit of a slope in my garden, with the wet weather it's a  slippery slope by now :(. On top of this I've no access with the car for 10 m of a steep, partly concreted/ muddy/ weedy aisle with a width of 1 m.... which means a lot of work trying to carry all the manure/ extra soil down there :(

I've spent today and yesterday wheeling dung round the houses and into the garden and now I got posessed by the idea of building some kind of raised bed for my asparagus... and I've no idea, how I am going to get the 'fillers' down there!!!!

I personally think your best bet is to live with the slope and just carry extra matter onto the plot, eventually you'll have plenty of lovely top soil.

Re the bumps: same story here, mine consist of lumpy grass and sudden drops in the ground, I've managed bit by bit to even some parts out, ongoing work since 5 years, but then I don't take things too seriously and don't kill myself

Bell

Rob the rake

sloping plot
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 21:37 »
Quote from: "sweet nasturtium"
Rob that sounds like major excavation works to me!  Worrying cos I also have thin topsoil layer.  The clay subsoil is pretty much solid and goes down I don't know how far

But it makes sense.  Last year I made some beds by just diggin down and then piling the soil up into mounds (no edging), and although it worked for that crop, by the end of the year it had levelled itself.

It is a bit of a chew on, but it saves you so much work in the long run that it's well worth putting yourself out for. There aren't any rules about having to do it all in one go, aim for one or two beds a year. Before you know it you'll have done the lot.

If it still brings you out in a sweat just reading about raising beds and double-digging, it's possible to get a good, workable depth of topsoil by digging an inch or two deeper each year until you're happy with it.

xx
Growing on a sloping allotment

Started by hammers07 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 16, 2009, 22:11
by realfood
xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
re-using plot

Started by sueanthony on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 21:29
by gowing238

Page created in 0.458 seconds with 30 queries.