Negleted chickens, or am i being to soft?

• 36 Replies

grinling

Re: Negleted chickens, or am i being to soft?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2020, 20:25 »
Glad it is going well, beware of snow on the tarp as it is very heavy.
It might be easier catching a chicken inside the house, but wear heavy duty gloves as the cockerel will be protective, beware of his spurs.

Steve_789

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2020, 20:19 »
just a little update for those wondering!

up to 29 eggs total now, having 6 per day over the last few days! Not bad for hens that "weren't laying" last year ;) 

the new coop to give them a bit more room is in and being used, for the price its pretty good although the nest box lid is a weak point and i can see it snapping off at some point, but other than that its pretty solid. 

Weather shelter is still an issue though, i'm starting to think were going to need a proper run so that we can fully cover it from the weather and also put the wood+water in it as well. I've been eyeing the Omlet run, its more pricey, but it does look better than wood (or silver galvanised hoops) with chicken wire stabled/tied to it, and it wont rot. Don't spose anyone has any experience of it do they? I've had a good hunt round and the only negative things i can find are that the clips are fiddly! https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/chicken_keeping/walk_in_chicken_run/

The grey chicken i mention before is also running about and seems perfectly happy now as well, which is a relief. The white one still has a slight limp but can also shift when she wants to, so it may well be old age.

All in all, going well :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2020, 20:26 »
Glad it is going well Steve  :)

My big run is built around a pergola that was already in the garden when we moved in.  We just painted it dark brown with wood stain, covered it in chicken wire and put roofing sheets on the top.  I know you won't just have a pergola lying around, but it could be worth buying one and it would be a cheaper option. At a distance, you just see roofed pergola, rather than chicken shack.

I have not used the Omlet walk in run, but the clips are similar to the small run I have on my Eglu and yes they are fiddly and seem to break quite easily. 

snowdrops

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2020, 11:15 »
All sounding good there Steve. Sorry I can’t offer help with the omelet run as my husband & I built ours from weldmesh & tantalised timber to fit the space I had available,plus we then put onduline roofing on to give them all weather protection as they aren’t able to free range as yours do.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Steve_789

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2020, 12:49 »
the pergola idea might work, but im not overly fond of yet another wooden structure to keep on top of though, we already have a bunch of pergolas around the garden. What's super annoying is that before Christmas we got rid of a gazebo from another area of the garden which would have been an ideal shelter. If i only knew then what i knew now n all that!  :(

Basically just looking for ideas on something that would provide year round shelter from wind/rain/snow where the food and water can be kept and which doesn't stick out like a sore thumb! Although it seems the only options are either DIY from timber, or more expensive cages :mellow:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2020, 13:06 »
If you google field shelters there are lots of plans available - most are for horses, but the same idea would apply to chickens.  They are just a shed with an open front really, so you might be able to source a second hand shed to customise.  That would not look too out of place.

If you roof a pergola or any home built structure, it will help stop the wood rotting.  Our pergola has been there for years and never gets any care.  In the summer, I shade the inside by putting a camouflage net up along the front wall.  You could do the same year round on any sides you felt were too exposed to view.  Plant a couple of evergreen shrubs in front and the whole lot will meld in.  My lot love napping under the evergreen shrubs in my back garden on summer afternoons, so they would do double duty  :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 13:08 by New shoot »

grinling

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2020, 17:48 »
small polytunnel  would work, but not the ones with green cheap ones but a proper one.

We use square outdoor wood in metposts from screwfix an galvanised roof,came with the house

You could cement in cement fence posts and use fence panels,then onduline roofing.
In this weather,check wind direction,so weather hits the back or side of the structure

xx
Soft lump on the chickens chest

Started by Bruce Rance on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 14, 2008, 10:06
by compostqueen
xx
Chickens are laying Soft Eggs...help needed please!

Started by megmeg on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 09, 2009, 10:26
by wafflycat
xx
soft egg

Started by treecol on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 09:14
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Soft every day

Started by ali2 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 30, 2011, 12:06
by crh75

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 47 queries.