Seed compost

• 16 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Seed compost
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2020, 10:53 »
Never had a problem using B&Q MPC as a seed compost that couldn't be attributed to having risked sowing out of date seed.

Not much faffing here - poke a hole in the compost with your finger of choice to the required depth, drop seed in, cover, making sure there are no lumps by crumbling by hand.

Wish it were peat-free, but it isn't, but for planting out in troughs and tubs I do try to ease my conscience by using a mixture of old and new bought compost, home made compost (at the bottom, to suppress possible weeds), and dried chicken manure as required.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
Re: Seed compost
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 11:52 »
I sterilised my compost at the weekend in the oven, 80ºc for 40 mins. Didn't smell too bad and the Mrs didn't seem to mind  :ohmy:

Perhaps I over reacted somewhat to the risk of contaminated compost, (I do love my chillis!) as you all seem to be using other brands without issues. I always used to use Vevre mpc, so will revert back to that for most of my sowing this year.
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

xx
Seed Compost

Started by cathangirl on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 17:53
by fletcherbaker
xx
Seed compost

Started by Lesleyk on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 22, 2013, 11:40
by mumofstig
xx
Seed compost?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 24, 2022, 13:10
by Goosegirl
xx
What seed compost

Started by blackberryjam on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 24, 2013, 10:52
by blackberryjam

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 41 queries.