Climbing courgette...

• 7 Replies

Growster...

Climbing courgette...
« on: January 08, 2020, 06:58 »
With limited space at 'The Turrets' now, can anyone recommend a decent one please?

A new compact variety, if possible, would be helpful, as just a couple of plants would be just fine!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Climbing courgette...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 09:53 »
You can grow a couple of Tromba d'Albenga around a cane tripod, pick them small and they're lovely plus seedless apart from the fat bit at the end. Towards the end of summer you can let a few get big and ripen as winter squash.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 12:06 »
I grow Black Forest (F1) up canes attached to my fence (to stop the wind from taking them over), and they always do well for me.  They have been known to escape to next door, which my neighbour thinks is hilarious - she is fascinated by how quickly they grow and once turned up on the doorstep with something the size of a marrow!  :lol: 

I took a leaf out of Mum's book last year and tried some Tromba d'Albenga.  They were just as she describes, with thin skins even when quite large and I'll definitely be growing them again this year.  :)

AM
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 04:48 »
Thank you Ladies!

These look marvellous, and will make a huge difference to the small area I have ready for them!

I've had other seeds from Franchi before, but can't for the life of me remember what they were...:0-

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 07:52 »
Last year I grew Black Forest and Shooting Star in the PT, plants seemed to scramble like any variety despite being sold as 'climbing' courgettes.

I didn't get a single courgette, many rotting before reaching maturity. I won't be growing them this year.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 18:39 »
Sorry to hear that, DHM.

That's clearly a case of 'South-East-Coast-courgette-failure-syndrome', which pervades only once in a while, but has been known to arrive elsewhere disguised as a huge marrow...

Dastardly cucurbits - they despise our methods!

(Have they built the Travel Inn hotel in Terminus Road yet? I wanted to do that)!

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 08:12 »
Sorry to hear that, DHM.

That's clearly a case of 'South-East-Coast-courgette-failure-syndrome', which pervades only once in a while, but has been known to arrive elsewhere disguised as a huge marrow...

Dastardly cucurbits - they despise our methods!

(Have they built the Travel Inn hotel in Terminus Road yet? I wanted to do that)!

They've built the Premier Inn now, with Debenhams and TJ Hughes closing I reckon travelodge might be next!

South East Coast CFS affected a few plots on site this year, though annoyingly my neighbour, yet again produced perfect courgettes, emerging from his greenhouse each week with an armful, all the same size and shape. I stuck one of the spare Black Forest seedlings outside and let it roam among the pumpkins, and I did get a marrow off that one. The seeds werent cheap either...

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 21:24 »
Sorry DHM, retirement does make the mind wander - I meant Premier Inn (Travel Inn is their 'old' name)!

I have some great pics of an old company bash at The Hydro Hotel, where I was almost sacked for snapping the MD who was laughing so much at a joke, that he rolled off a sofa...

Also there's an even worse one of the Finance Director playing the piano, apparently wearing a lampshade!

Come to think of it, I only stayed with that firm for a few months afterwards...:0(

As for climbing courgettes - er - where were we...

xx
Climbing Food?

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 22:37
by shokkyy
xx
Climbing Beans

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 21:17
by FatGaz
sad
climbing beans

Started by torimori on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 14, 2020, 15:28
by Subversive_plot
xx
climbing beans

Started by greg.t on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 19:37
by Stripey_cat

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 46 queries.