Chinese artichoke

• 3 Replies

jambop

Chinese artichoke
« on: January 07, 2020, 21:27 »

Has anybody on here tried growing Chinese artichokes? I saw some in a supermarket the other day and thought wow those look weird I would like to try to grow some. I have no idea where to get the starting material other than that shop and the price...  €15 per kg !! must be one of the most expensive veg I have come across.

wolveryeti

Re: Chinese artichoke
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 22:35 »
I bought a few at a local seed fair this month for the first time - so no idea - sorry! I know places like Otter Farm sell them online: https://www.otterfarm.co.uk/product/chinese-artichokes/

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 09:00 »
They sound interesting and can be bought on line at otterfarm as Wolveryeti says. They are not expensive either; 5 large tubers for £3.90.

I have not grown them but I don't think that I have room, they are described as  sprawling 70cm high plants.

I look forward to hearing how it went  :)

jambop

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 21:33 »
They sound interesting and can be bought on line at otterfarm as Wolveryeti says. They are not expensive either; 5 large tubers for £3.90.

I have not grown them but I don't think that I have room, they are described as  sprawling 70cm high plants.

I look forward to hearing how it went  :)
They are expensive down here at €15 per kg and the tubers never are really that big. However today I went to the shop which was selling them and bought 15 tubers which cost about €2 I am going to plant them up in to 15cm pots and then when the weather warms up a bit plant them out. Its a bit of fun and they are said to be very good in stir fries or even pickled. They can be continued by saving a few tubers to plant out the next year. So something a bit different this year and said to be hardy enough to be left in the ground in winter too, which is said to be the best way to keep them fresh.

xx
Chinese Artichoke

Started by gobs on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 29, 2007, 14:21
by WG.
xx
Chinese Garlic

Started by donald.cape on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2007, 08:32
by brucesgirl
xx
Chinese garlic

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 14, 2012, 19:56
by sunshineband
xx
Chinese cabbage

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 19:04
by Jamie Butterworth

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 37 queries.