What I did on the plot today 2020

• 247 Replies

WeavingGryphon

Re: What I did on the plot today 2020
« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2020, 17:30 »
Today it's been really windy so we've been working on the garden because we haven't had any proper rain other than the odd light hail shower since Storm Ciara. 30mph+ wind blown dust is not your friend up a plot when you've got 2 kids.

So we doubled the width of a border out the back, weeded and topped it up. Fed, weeded and watered the rhubarb. Planted 2 sage, 2 rosemary and a parsley, planted lots of onions in an open tray, some cabbages and salad.

I potted up one of the mulberries-we need more 30cm pots. I also potted up the little beak chillies and tomatoes and sowed more of the little beaks and the patio fire chillies which are showing no life at all. Manured most of the plants. Trimmed currants, boiled the canker kit. Later I'll add some more scions to the tree out the back.

So we've been busy all afternoon and the kids have been outside playing since 10 and are still out.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2020, 20:03 »
I did some weeding today.

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2020, 21:35 »
Lovely day today, did a bit of weeding and tidying up. Managed to sow a few different mixes of salad leaves, spinach, pak choi, Chinese cabbage, syboes and a few flowering plants.
Spoke to the farmer while out for our daily dog walk and he's going to deliver a few tractor loads of well rotted manure tomorrow - social distancing will be observed!
Ended the day with a giant bonfire to get rid of all the old wood and fallen branches, of course we had to toast a few marshmallows!

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #123 on: April 07, 2020, 16:30 »
Today we dug 4mx2m part of the plot and planted the last of the perennial sorrel seeds, the last of our beetroot seeds, some onion seeds and sets. Husband watered a lot because it's like dust. We've emptied the small water butt (May) and into one of the big ones ("June") which is worrying, it's April. The soil was no effort to dig it's so dry.
We took up the kitchen waste and as much of the garden waste would fit in the boot. One 75Ltrug, a box, big "builder's" bucket and standard sized small bucket and applied to the compost heap. Husband partially emptied the older of the 2 composter until it wasn't fully rotted and put the kitchen stuff on top. Eldest was really good and helped us dig over and plant. Raspberries were weeded also and applied shouting at the children.

Husband just shifted the big plastic planter onto the gravel to hope and avoid slugs other than whatever is inside. So add manure to the compost that's in there and plant salad leaves. Maybe I'll add my beetroot seedlings to it.

I forgot the possibly Jostaberry plant but remembered the rosemary which is planted at the end of the raspberries.

jambop

« Reply #124 on: April 07, 2020, 17:40 »
Well another day in the garden and again a joy... ye cannae complain when you are forced into something that ye like da'in :lol:
I transplanted some kohl rabbi modules and made a new automatic watering harness for that bed. The did some work on the other raised beds readying them for planing out.
The tomatoes have been singled into good sized pots and I have done the sweet peppers too. I have loads of other tomatoes coming through but these will be given away to neighbours who will may them . More to be done tomorrow with planting some different onion varieties out... thanks god for gardens we would be up the wall without out them  :)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2020, 18:09 »
Sowed carrots and parsnips. Pricked out the tomato seedlings into their own pots in the polytunnel.

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #126 on: April 07, 2020, 19:09 »
Uncovered another raised bed. Dug it over roughly to distribute the manure I'd loaded onto it before I covered it last autumn and then sowed my onion sets. My husband rabbit proofed the last of my raised beds in readiness for my beans.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #127 on: April 07, 2020, 22:51 »
potted on some cauli's...put all my little babies (toms/peppers) out in the warm sunshine....a few more sowings of courgettes/celery/squash. my allowed hour of exercise was spent at the plot sowing carrots whilst mr goose strimmed the paths.

hating being on lockdown and furlough, but SO thankful for my outside space and sunshine right now.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2020, 07:47 »
Yesterday I sowed herbs, beetroot and tomatoes. I went to sow some courgette and cucumbers and found out I hadn't bought any!

jambop

« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2020, 11:09 »
Spending the day cat proofing my new raised beds... they just think " what a nice big  litter tray"  :lol: then after that I really must get the brush cutter out and go round the edges of the main garden which are jungle like in places :D if there is time I may make a watering harness up for one of the beds. lovely day here just having a cuppa.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2020, 21:21 »
Put some debris netting around spud bed to keep cats out. Had a hoe and my daughter watered the pots.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2020, 14:50 »
Watering beds early am on the plot.
Pleased to see asparagus is coming up soon.
HH
Keep digging

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #132 on: April 11, 2020, 18:03 »
We finished digging over and planting up the plot.
That is all our potatoes in as well. Watered some plants and we finally admitted to wanting to do something stupid and going to do it. Husband did he Goose step paces to figure out where it was and we went looking for the little missing rhubarb. A massive clump of grass had been upended over him so the little leaf bud was white and easily spotted several inches down. So He's dug out, chicken manure around the bottom, watered and replanted so he's just underneath the surface.

We are filthy.
Modify to add, it took over 5 hours.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 18:05 by WeavingGryphon »

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: April 11, 2020, 18:35 »
Planted out broad beans and assessed the toms and peppers which have been scorched by the hot sun as they were under double cover. Not looking good for most of them :(

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2020, 15:59 »
Just spent the last hour tilling the roots bed to a nice fine tilth ready to grow nice n straight root veggies.
A bit of hoeing now the weeds have awoken.
tinkering in the greenhouses.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2015

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

923 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 18:35
by mumofstig
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 52 queries.