What I did on the plot today 2020

• 247 Replies

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
Re: What I did on the plot today 2020
« Reply #150 on: May 01, 2020, 17:08 »
Last couple of evenings, I've sown dwarf French beans and peas in the potting shed, managed to get some tomato and chilli plants so spent an hour rearranging the potting shed so i can grow the tomatoes at the far end. Applied pelleted chicken manure to fertilize overwintered onions and garlic. We've had some rain which softened the ground too so tilled up a couple of beds nice and fine with a rake. Expecting to be doing some weeding this weekend amongst other things. Take care all.

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2020, 18:45 »
Rotovated and dug dug dug.
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: May 06, 2020, 19:17 »
Hoed the empty beds and started weeding the woodchip paths. Got as much up as possible but I'm going to have to finish them with weedkiller.

SimonF1

« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2020, 07:53 »
I have most things in the ground now. Put in a lot more garlic and onions last night. Somebody said that putting them around the edges of the beds keeps the slugs off. Well, we eat a lot of them, so even if it does not work it is not a loss. Put some horseradish seedlings between the potato plants. Supposed to frighten off the Colorado beetle. The missus put in all the red peppers and tomato plants this week, but they are predicting frost for next week, so that was perhaps premature.

rowlandwells

« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2020, 08:19 »
 having a day of from the allotments today plot 1 actually got nearly up with things down there cultivated all the raised beds then planted some raised beds with onions also been laying new chippings on the paths sprayed an area that had got weeds because it had been left over from the winter as soon as the weeds die down I'm going to plough the ground half will be for squashes the other half green manure [mustard]

plot 2 had a fire burnt all the old rubbish sprayed the weeds round the fence cleaned up the cut flower beds spread a load of horse manure over one half got it all ready the plough next week  then hopefully plant our potatoes in the half not manured so we are waiting on our brassicas that we are growing in the greenhouse to grow a bit more then we can plant them in the allotment RB

so had a good week down the allotments catching up on things see what next week brings  :D
spending a day up the house garden today in the greenhouses and working on the poly tunnel repairs
always plenty to do not to get bored do have a nice day and you all keep safe

jaydig

« Reply #155 on: May 08, 2020, 16:36 »
Taking a few precautions in case the lower night time temperatures forecast for next week are low enough to do some damage.  Covered the strawberries with scaffold netting, made a tent of the same around runner beans.  Earthed up potatoes, and yes, you've guessed it, covered with scaffold netting supported on posts.  Dahlias covered with old net curtains.  I debated doing it, but I'd kick myself if I lost plants this late in the season because I hadn't spent a couple of hours covering them.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: May 08, 2020, 17:19 »
Getting a bit dry now, so I gave everything a good soak.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #157 on: May 09, 2020, 21:52 »
Planted out leeks, weeded and put some weed membrane on the paths.

cbo1170

« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2020, 14:44 »
Built a raised bed for my sweetcorn for when they're ready to go out, and planted main crop spuds in an old metal trough we had spare.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2020, 21:03 »
Planted out the rest of my leeks. Moved the compost bins and cut the grass.

SimonF1

« Reply #160 on: May 12, 2020, 07:09 »
Snow this morning, so not much going to happen today. I really should not have planted out the tomatoes last week. The sweet peppers will survive it, but the tomatoes looked unhappy. It stayed above freezing at ground level, so they might live. You can always rely on the Ice Saints.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Saints

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2020, 22:14 »
Sowed more spring onions and radishes.

snowdrops

« Reply #162 on: May 15, 2020, 07:51 »
Yesterday I transported 6  Wheel barrow loads of the 3tons of compost to the allotment. I had it delivered to the drive on Monday. Thankfully most of the 3tons has gone on the garden so not much more to go today.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 07:52 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2020, 15:50 »
I haven't posted on this thread recently, but that's not because I haven't been busy, busy, busy.
- my tomatoes are in their final resting place in growbags in the neighbour's greenhouse
- earthed up my spuds
- re-potted spinach, kale, beetroot and parsley and returned them to the cold frame
- planted out the Florence fennel into a raised bed
- sowed more runner beans to replace the ones that didn't germinate
- purple sprouting broccoli seedlings are still in the cold frame but small and weedy looking , so I might sow a few more in case they don't make it
- I'm not having much success with my cabbage seeds this year. The ones that have germinated aren't looking great
- onions, salad leaves, broad beans are in the raised beds and coming on nicely (I hope).
Phew!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #164 on: May 15, 2020, 15:54 »
Planted out some cabbages, realised I planted my broad beans in the wrong bed  :unsure: going to need to rejig my plans now. After that spent ages trying to catch up on the weeding.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego

Page created in 0.996 seconds with 52 queries.