Composting in a metal bin

• 6 Replies

Ema

Composting in a metal bin
« on: December 29, 2019, 13:19 »
This year we’ve built some lovely compost bins from scaffold boards. The rats have dug under and are keeping themselves warm :(

I won’t put poison down and the splat traps we’ve put down - the rat/mouse/vole that gets caught then gets eaten it’s quite gross.

I’ve stopped composting all my kitchen waste and am putting it in the curb side collection which feels such a waste.

I’m thinking of getting a metal bin and using this for composting in over the winter months. No holes as the rats will chew them and then get in. Anyone else composting in bins? Or rat proof composting tips?

Grubbypaws

Re: Composting in a metal bin
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 15:10 »
We had a rat problem in our compost bin which hopefully we have solved. Like you we stopped putting anything edible (eggshells, potato peelings etc) in with the compost and have a plastic bin on a concrete paving stone for this waste. We also stopped feeding the birds after seeing a rat happily eating a fat ball which was in a guardian cage!

The other thing that we did was make sure that we weren't providing a cosy home as well. This involved watering the compost heap regularly and clearing some dense shrubs. The next door neighbour has provided a wonderful home in the form of decking and he put poison under it; no other animals would have access.   

If all fails your council will provide a vermin service. Where I live they offered three visits for a very reasonable price although in the end we didn't need to use them.

I hope that this helps.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 11:06 »
The only other think I can think of it to attach fine wire netting on the sides and a separate one on the top.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Christine

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 16:58 »
No-one advised putting down wire netting fine grade underneath when starting. That works.

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 17:47 »
No-one advised putting down wire netting fine grade underneath when starting. That works.

Agreed. Did this five years back and no rat problem since.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 18:02 »
we put our darlicks on paving slabs and it seemed to work no rats no mice added a bucket or two of horse manure and it seems to help the decomposing process

Ema

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 09:44 »
Thanks everyone for your input.

We’ve got rid of the darlek that was sat on paving as a rat chewed a hole by the trap door and also at the back.

This year we built some quiet hench compost bins using scaffold boards. We turned this years compost a few days ago and although it looked like a rat had dug underneath it had moved on! So I think we just need to keep turning it regularly.

My garden has about 20 field voles living underground so I’m still not up for composting food waste at this time of year in an open top bin.

clip
Metal bins

Started by Wilf on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2021, 08:56
by lettice
xx
Heavy metal contamination?

Started by Jome on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 14, 2014, 22:52
by Markw
xx
Metal bedframe base - possible frame for beans?

Started by jamesbrownontheroad on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 16:19
by little sweetpeas
xx
What size metal mesh should I use for an allotment fence?

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 21:57
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.615 seconds with 36 queries.