Dark days, seeds and seed spuds ...

• 12 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Dark days, seeds and seed spuds ...
« on: December 13, 2019, 12:10 »
It is not New Year yet so any resolutions about not getting carried away are not valid yet ...   :unsure:  Well anyway, have you been naughty yet  :lol:

I have ordered seed spuds, but restrained myself to 3 kinds - pats self on back .... Then I got an email saying the new Real Seeds catalogue was on-line and that all went to pot  :lol:

Oooh pretty multi coloured drying beans - click.  Fancy coloured corn - click.  It is not too bad honest, just a few packs but it was more than I was going to buy  :blush: 

I guess once a seedaholic, always a seedaholic  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Dark days, seeds and seed spuds ...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 13:24 »
 :lol: I've ordered just a kg each of Lady Christl, Pentland Javelin, Inca Belle and Spunta and a new to me climbing marrowfat pea Roi des Conserves.
Other than that I've only reordered my usuals that I had run out of (and couldn't save myself)
So I've been fairly good (so far!)  ;)

OakR

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 14:02 »
Well I saved a lot of tomato seed last year - but I still could no resits and trying some new ones, so I now have 17 different types I think....

I have around 800 peas which is definitely too much, but at least I can keep them and use them again if I don't manage to save many.

Dwarf french beans I definitely have too many but again am planning to freeze some and as with the peas am going to try more second crops of them.

I grew too much Squash last year which is not going to stop me growing more and buying some more this year!

Am undecided on growing potatoes this year, but I will over order if I do...

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 16:08 »
I tend to find the problem is that at this time of the year, when I've received my seed order, I always think that I've been quite restrained.  BUT..............There's quite a long time between now and seed sowing time, and there always seem to be a few more catalogues dropping through the letterbox, and they deliberately put in new varieties of seeds (how do they know that?), that I've never grown before.  Hence seed orders numbers two, three and four.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 11:44 »
Hence seed orders numbers two, three and four.

Oh I know that scenario well  :lol:  One of the great things on this forum is that I know I am always talking to friends when I mention my little seed problem  ;)

I'm not very materialistic and hate shopping (garden centres excluded), so this is one area I allow myself some indulgences.  It just makes the winter so much more bearable when you have those little packets of seeds in your hand and can look forward to sowing them all.  I know I am a saddo  :lol:  I even go and look at my seed spuds gently chitting in the shed on a regular basis once they are here, for no other reason than I can and it makes me feel good  :lol:

Now excuse me a minute while I get the seed box out and ruffle through, just for the heck of it  :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 17:57 »
We were buying some other seeds for the allotment association, so I put in a request for 100 seeds each of 3 different sweet pea varieties.  I've no idea where I think I'm going to start them all off and then plant them out  :wacko: 8) :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 20:22 »
We were buying some other seeds for the allotment association, so I put in a request for 100 seeds each of 3 different sweet pea varieties.  I've no idea where I think I'm going to start them all off and then plant them out  :wacko: 8) :lol:

hahahahaha - not much room left to grow veg :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 20:27 »

hahahahaha - not much room left to grow veg :D

True dat  ::)

Might have to buy some more vases too  8) :lol:

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 10:03 »
I've already had the Spanish inquisition by someone who passed comment how many seed packets do you need my  reply was one can never have enough seeds my dear  :D

enough seed was the reply you have enough to supply all the allotment holders and still have some left over anyway already received the allotment association order waiting on some others seed including seed potatoes that where ordered in November early potato seed and onion sets will be bought from our local  Garden centre after Christmas

the cost of my seed order well what's a few bob between friends there's some things one needs to play quite close to there chest SAY NO MORE

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 13:32 »
the cost of my seed order well what's a few bob between friends there's some things one needs to play quite close to there chest SAY NO MORE

A grand plan Mr Wells  :D  Say nothing and look innocent as the parcels and envelopes arrive.  Works a treat for me and OH just rolls his eyes a bit and sighs.  He cheers up when the crops arrive back home though  :lol:

Eric44

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 12:34 »
My spuds are on order, Wilja as my second earlies and trying Rooster for the first time as my maincrop. Space is always tight but I know that come planting time, I will have added to that.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 13:15 »
Spuds will be from the local nursery as and when. Not going to need much this year with the hernia and operation putting me out of action at peak sowing and planting time as I still have all last year's most of which will still be viable. I have this year's seeds from the HSL to play with for novelty value.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

erikaz1

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 21:20 »
Errrr... I've just read this thread and I think I have a problem. Well... not just yet but I will have as soon as the postman turns up with my Thompson and Morgan orders. I'm expecting 16+ parcels with 5ish packs of seeds in each. I know I'm unemployed at the moment but I have a horrible feeling this is about to turn into a full time job just sowing the damn things, let alone keeping them alive! Oops!

xx
Chitting bean seeds: light, dark, or doesn't matter?

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 26, 2022, 17:00
by Subversive_plot
xx
Seed Potatoes - Potato Days

Started by bean on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 30, 2007, 23:56
by sweet nasturtium
xx
Potato Days & Seed Fairs 2020

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2020, 08:51
by cssg mick
xx
When saving tomato seed do i have to dry for several days/weeks to germ?

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 09:52
by Vit

Page created in 1.481 seconds with 52 queries.