Scones

• 15 Replies

mrs bouquet

Scones
« on: November 17, 2019, 11:44 »
Are yours a scone as in gone, or a scone as in stone,  and why ? 
I say scone as in gone,  but provided they are delicious, I don't care what they are called or pronounced.  :D  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

WeavingGryphon

Re: Scones
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 11:46 »
Gone, Husband says Gone. he also says there's a scooon, but there's a castle on that and no fruity bits throughout.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 13:10 »
There is also the very important matter of cream and jam , which way round , and to complicate the matter further , which flavour jam.

I thinks we ought to have a referendom on the matter!! ;) ;)

This is all on the assumption that one is talking about 'sweet' scones , what should one do if it is a savoury ,oh eck!! :ohmy: :ohmy:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 13:42 by Tenhens »
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 14:09 »
Oh no    :ohmy:       I do cream first and then jam (whatever is offered, I don't care).     But I don't spread butter on them.    Mrs B

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 17:38 »
Oh no    :ohmy:       I do cream first and then jam (whatever is offered, I don't care).     But I don't spread butter on them.    Mrs B

That would be the Devon way.
We have a local hospice shop that serve scones that are rather large and rather yummy , washed down with a pot of tea.

wighty

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 18:25 »
Give me a cheese scone ( pronounced stone) any day, spread with butter.  Have never had a 'cream tea' so can't comment really but would think it easier to put the jam on first and then the cream.

jaydig

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 18:27 »
Thanks, Mrs B,   You've just reminded me that i've got some home made scones (to rhyme with stones) in the freezer.  A couple of minutes in the microwave, cream and jam, job done!   Perfect end to a perfect Sunday.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 18:55 »
It's a scone (like cone with an s in front )
In our family plain ones have jam then cream on the top of that.
Fruit scones have butter and jam (no cream) and cheese (or other savoury) scones just butter in them :)

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 21:51 »
There is also the very important matter of cream and jam , which way round , and to complicate the matter further , which flavour jam.

I've never had or been offered cream on them. Apple jelly, but I've just made 3.6Kg worth of apples into a jelly so I would say that. But I seem to have given most of it away!?   ::)  ??? . People who gave me the apples, jam jars, his parents.

I'd always have have butter, actually and usually I'm happy with just butter. But some of my lot were amazing at making scones.

Got Husband's vote, he's had it with butter and cream and jam and clotted cream. He's not fussed what way up the cream and jam goes. He's usually happy to get scones, I can make them but don't and I would never buy  :ohmy:. Shop ones just aren't right, awful bicarb taste to them.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 21:54 by WeavingGryphon »

jezza

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 10:36 »
Hello surely scone rhymes with gone sultana butter tayberry/loganberry jam and Wensleydale cheese   jam and cream or cheese ones with butter and a nice summer fruit jam   jezza

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 19:34 »
I'm afraid its scone as in bone. With butter. Jam first then cream.  :D

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 07:48 »
What's everyone's favourite type of scone?
I love a fruit wholemeal scone. No dried fruits like dried raspberry in it.

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 14:27 »
I'm with Jezza here, a warm cheese "scurhne" with butter and strawberry jam is like nectar...

jaydig

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 16:59 »
I love jam and cream with my scones.  Jam first, then cream, but, of course, if one has a visitor that prefers it the other way round, just turn the scone upside down.

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 17:04 »
I love jam and cream with my scones.  Jam first, then cream, but, of course, if one has a visitor that prefers it the other way round, just turn the scone upside down.

Actually, Jay, that's the way I like to eat 'Twix', not standing upside down, but turning it over so the bottom teeth get the soft stuff, and the top nashers get the crispy bit!

Try it, you'll enjoy life even more to the full!

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 52 queries.