calabrese

• 6 Replies

rowlandwells

calabrese
« on: November 13, 2019, 20:43 »
the wife and me had quite a discussion about growing calabrese the other night according to the wife a well known garden mag says you should sow the seed individually in a modular or pots  because calabrese dislike being pricked out and prefer growing in a modular or pots until planting out around about four weeks also prior to this one would need to harden of the plants before planting them out of the modular  as calabrese trying not to disturb the root ball as this may cause premature flowering

so who's rite what is your preferred calabrese growing in trays pricking out or modular sowings ?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: calabrese
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 22:57 »
Yes, I do always sow my Calabrese in modules, and then grow them on, so there is less shock when they are planted out.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 23:47 »
I start all my brassicas including calabrese in small plug modules which I either transfer to pots or if the weather is kind plant our direct. Working pretty well so far.

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 09:21 »
I usually sow two or three seeds into a three inch pot, then keep the strongest looking one.   They are quick and easy to plant out, and have a decent root system from the word go. I have club root in odd places around the plot, so give the bed a good dusting with lime a month or so before planting, and then dust inside the planting hole as well.  So far I've had good crops - the best ones from the variety Marathon, but different soils may need different varieties.

jambop

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 10:31 »
I just sow my seeds in an  15cm pot and then thin them into 10 cm pot and plant out when ready... they have never failed me I usually get huge heads. This year though things are a bit different weather wise. It has not stopped raining for the past two weeks and my ground is completely waterlogged and the plants are not surprisingly starting to show they don't like it... does not look good at all! Next year these plants will be grown in my no dig beds which are slightly raised and therefore not that badly effected. I would have done them that way this year but the beds were not ready. I grow Marathon F1

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 12:00 »
someone who shall remain anonymous whispered in my ear I told you so  :tongue2:anyway I or we have decided to try two seeds per pot or modular next season

also the variety we have is Stromboli said to be  suitable  for both module and standard growing

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 12:45 »
I always start mine off in trays, in rows, 1 seed every 2" or so. Then I just use a teaspoon to scoop out each seedling complete with roots, like a tree supplied with root ball, and pot them on in 3" pots. Works well for me with very few casualties.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 12:46 by I Love Spuds »
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

xx
Calabrese

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 06, 2008, 21:39
by gobs
xx
calabrese

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 05, 2012, 14:28
by DD.
xx
calabrese

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 16, 2007, 16:39
by shaun
xx
Calabrese

Started by p-robin-g on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 22:07
by kermit

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 39 queries.