blueberry plant

• 6 Replies

samuria

• Experienced Member
blueberry plant
« on: October 06, 2019, 11:55 »
the wife is asking if we can have a blueberry bush ?
so any info  most helpful !!!1
like are they suited to our climate? what do they need ? are they worth
growing? we use a lot of the blueberries in our juice drinks ???

mikem

• Experienced Member
Re: blueberry plant
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 13:34 »
Yes they are worth growing.  I bought mine from Lidl quite a few years ago!  I believe you need two different types for pollination purposes.  I have 4 in pots about 18" across and they provide me with about two 2 litre ice cream containers full every year although you will need to net them from the birds.  I use an old plastic greenhouse frame and covered that with netting as the plants do get quite big despite pruning every year.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 14:26 »
They are lovely.
They need acid conditions so you need ericaceous- rhododendron compost and to water with rain water. Or stand tap water for overnight and only only use the top part. Or you could treat your soil to pH 4.5-5.5 with sulphur flower. You can get a pH testing kit for cheap easily.
You need different varieties to cross pollinate and to net them as the birds know their nice too. But this means you could get ones that fruit at different times so you don't get a glut. Just make sure that you get ones that flower at the same time.

Strawberries like acid conditions so you can plant them around the bottom of your blueberry.

samuria

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 16:00 »
that's brilliant  folks, gets me in the good books as well  ::)
thankyou,,,,,,

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 20:30 »
I agree with all the replies so far.  I would suggest the variety Darrow which has produced beautiful and very large fruit for me.    Also I have not grown it myself, but I have tasted Pink Lemonade at our local show - yes a pink blueberry, and it was beautifully sweet.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 16:17 »
A bit late to this conversation but YES, blueberries are a delight. Most of the tips have been covered already. I grow mine in large pots so I can control the acidity of the soil. As well as using ericaceous soil and rainwater I also feed with an ericacious fertilizer and mulch with pine needles. Blueberries don't want to be absolutely waterlogged but they really don't like drying out so watering in summer is important. I have found that standing the containers in large saucers helps enormously. You don't loose your precious rainwater onto the patio and you can easliy see when the saucer is dry and they need to be watered again. Enjoy!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 15:43 »
Shop around.
I bought 3 plants for £10 at B&Q and they have turned out to be superb plants, one or two others on here at the time suggested them to me.
The rest of the info is above.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Blueberry plant

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 12, 2023, 09:41
by JayG
xx
caterpillar"s eating my blueberry plant

Started by babycakes on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 23:33
by jezza
xx
Blueberry Bed

Started by Rocinante on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 03, 2019, 21:47
by Rocinante
xx
Re-pot blueberry?

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 15:11
by Auntiemogs

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 45 queries.