Recovering a cheap polytunnel

• 3 Replies

Chris Suddell

Recovering a cheap polytunnel
« on: October 02, 2019, 06:56 »
Hi,

I have a cheap 3x3m poly tunnel the green cover type.  I'd like to recover it, however I'm not sure how I will get the cover drum tight?  Just wondered if anyone here had done this before?  The frame is 28mm galvanized steel, with a steel base rail around the bottom.  However there is no height adjustment, so I wont be able to lift the frame to tighten the cover.

Any thoughts?

snow white

Re: Recovering a cheap polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 11:56 »
My husband made a wooden frame.  If you google it you will find a tutorial for a wooden frame and also other methods of doing it. 
A handy girl with a cordless screwdriver.

Plot94

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 16:55 »
I have re-covered both my tunnels using the frame method. You will need to buy fixing brackets, available from first tunnels (and others), which you attach to a wooden frame around the base, don't tighten up fully. Then fit your cover to the frame, pulling it as tight as you can get, to really stretch the new cover you then use your foot to push down the wooden frame and tighten all your brackets and hey presto nice tight cover.
There are various tutorials on U Tube which will show you how, but I did this on my own for a 6mx2.4m tunnel without too much hassle (make sure you pick a nice calm day)  :D

jambop

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 19:30 »
I bought a really cheap ~ 110 poly tunnel about four years back and it has been very good value. Unfortunately it now needs new cover but the replacement only costs 79  so I will order and replace. It is a shame 99% of the cover is sound but for whatever reason there is a join and between the two main pieces of plastic the joining piece has deteriorated and ripped... still 100 for four years... no brainer !

xx
Polytunnel

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 23:43
by muntjac
xx
Using a polytunnel

Started by Kathie on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 17:28
by Kathie
xx
polytunnel

Started by lotus on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

11 Replies
Last post September 20, 2015, 19:52
by sonnycbr
xx
Diy polytunnel

Started by ricky on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post September 19, 2019, 16:25
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 39 queries.