sweet peppers from saved seeds

• 3 Replies

jambop

sweet peppers from saved seeds
« on: August 20, 2019, 12:17 »
OK so I just thought I would post about a wee experiment I did with save pepper seeds. The wife bought some lovely red peppers from a local shop last year and I was really taken by the size and flavour so I saved some of the seeds. My thinking was that these had probably been grown in a glasshouse with hundreds of exactly the same plants and so the offspring of cross pollination should be fairly close to the parent plants.
 This spring I sowed some expecting them to take an age to germinate ... but they were through in less that 10 days without additional heat. I thinned them out into 6 inch pots grew them on the planted them out into a raised bed. The result has been very rewarding lots of lovely large green peppers which have a nice flavour. I am waiting for some of them to turn red to try them for sweetness when ripe. The results have been so good that I am not going to bother with bought seed now I will just save some seeds from a nice looking red pepper that has been bought in the winter time.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: sweet peppers from saved seeds
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 15:39 »
I've been saving the seed each year of a nice non-hybrid pepper for about the last 5 years - so it can work. I hope yours remains stable  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 18:08 »
Glad to hear it has been so successful jambop. It certainly works with their cousins, the chillies too. Hope they taste as good as the original  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

jambop

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 09:05 »
Glad to hear it has been so successful jambop. It certainly works with their cousins, the chillies too. Hope they taste as good as the original  :D :D

Still waiting for some of them to ripen. They are a really nice big pepper and taste nice green but should sweeten when red... I hope. I save seeds from my Arbol chilli's every year and they come back great.

xx
Has anyone saved seeds?

Started by Flower on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 18, 2006, 21:00
by Flower
xx
saved tomato seeds

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 26, 2016, 09:32
by ARPoet
xx
saved bean seeds

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 27, 2020, 12:35
by mumofstig
xx
Has anyone ever saved beetroot seeds?

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 14:56
by Elcie

Page created in 0.41 seconds with 38 queries.