sprouts wilting, small white grubs eating roots??

• 7 Replies

lowermeadow

• New Gardener - Raised Beds, Greenhouse, Borders
Hi Everyone, my sprouts were wilting today and upon lifting one I have found small white grubs that have eaten the roots. I didn't have a problem last year so am at a loss. My dad says its cabbage fly and that I need to dig the full bed up of sprouts and broccoli, circa 50 plants. Is there anything I can do?
sprouts.jpg
There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments. – Janet Kilburn Phillips.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
Re: sprouts wilting, small white grubs eating roots??
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 22:12 »
Yes, it's cabbage fly unfortunately.

To protect your plants you need to rotate the bed each year, and put a collar around the bottom of the stem when you put them out.  The collars can be made out of cardboard, underlay etc.,  just so long as the flies can't reach the soil around the base of the plant to lay their eggs.

I don't think there's anything you can do once the plants are wilting, because by then the roots and bottom of the stem have suffered too much damage. I'd dig them up and let the birds eat the grubs.

G&R

lowermeadow

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 23:16 »
Hi G & R

Thank you for your reply. I am so sad that the plants are ruined. Would you try to add collars to the other plants to see if they survive?

I had potatoes in the bed last year.  I've added some manure to the bed a couple of months ago.

Was I just lucky last year given that the  plants last year were ok in another bed. 

I'm a sad gardener  :(

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 19:58 »
Hi Lowermeadow,

It is sad when you lose your carefully nurtured plants to something like this. I've suffered the same as you with cabbage fly in the past; this year for me it's woodpigeons which haven't previously been a problem, I'm on my 3rd sowing of peas, now behind metal fencing!

The good news is that the collars do work (search online for "brassica collars"), and it's worth putting them around the remaining healthy plants. They won't work if the grubs are already there underground on the healthy looking plants, but they will protect against further attacks. Cabbage fly comes in 2 or 3 waves over the season, and it's this first wave that normally does the most damage because the plants are smaller.

In terms of understanding what's happened, it's often the case that the first time you grow something new you get good results, and then subsequent crops aren't quite as good. It's partly because the first time you grow something the particular nutrients that crop needs haven't been depleted, and partly because any pests specific to that crop are small in number and you don't notice any damage. In second and subsequent years however, the pests have built up in the previous year. Rotation and manuring help with nutrient levels, and rotation also helps with soil borne diseases but can only help a bit with a fly which can still move around your garden and find host plants nearby.

G&R

lowermeadow

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 21:01 »
Hi G & R

Thank you for your further advice. I will source some collars for the remaining plants removing them if they wilt. I have found disturbing the roots to check for maggots damages the plants.

I have been looking at buying some nematodes to add to the beds. I understand they eat the maggots to break or reduce the life cycle. I realise that my current plants are mostly lost but thought this approach could reduce the next cycle. Do you have any experience of using nematodes?

Many thanks

Lower meadow 

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 22:01 »
Hi Lowermeadow,

No, I haven't tried nematodes, I do like the idea of them but they've always seemed quite expensive and need particular soil conditions to work; my soil is an acid sand and in some years I'd struggle even to get them to soak in, let alone reach the roots.

G&R

andyww2013

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 09:24 »
Don't be too hard on yourself, I planted sprouts on an allotment that had dormant for years, I used cabbage collars and when planted out they when straight under Enviromesh and yet mine are also being destroyed by the root fly.

Like you I have cabbage and kale next to these and it would be pretty gutting to lose all that.

cc

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 22:11 »
Don't be too hard on yourself, I planted sprouts on an allotment that had dormant for years, I used cabbage collars and when planted out they when straight under Enviromesh and yet mine are also being destroyed by the root fly.

Like you I have cabbage and kale next to these and it would be pretty gutting to lose all that.
Will debris netting keep them out?
My brassicas are at the top terrace high winds....good or bad??

xx
Little white Grubs

Started by Fire2920 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 16:33
by Aidy
xx
White caterpillar/grubs???

Started by joyce c on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 13, 2010, 17:56
by cob nut
xx
Grubs eating my caulifower

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 12, 2008, 22:09
by Oliveview
xx
White grubs eaten into strawberry plants

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 23:50
by viettaclark

Page created in 1.066 seconds with 44 queries.