Helping pollinators

• 3 Replies

Grubbypaws

Helping pollinators
« on: May 30, 2019, 14:55 »
I have just been away for a month and the purple sprouting broccoli that I hadn't harvested is in full flower and the bees adore it. Although this year it was by chance I will purposefully leave some to flower next year.

I also came back to a lawn that looked atrocious only to find out that the charity Plantlife have been urging folk to leave their mowers in the shed for May and let the lawn grow in 'Say no to mow this May'. The lawn is full of flowers (weeds!) and insects. So rather than the neighbours frowning on the state of the garden they think that I am helping nature  :D  Once again although this was by chance this year it is something I will do next year

DanielCoffey

Re: Helping pollinators
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 16:11 »
I have a fairly large soil mound that is part of my waste water filter system and I chose a "flowering lawn mix" of short grasses and perennial seeds specifically for that purpose. It gets strimmed in the spring to tidy it up and also once or twice as needs arise and is then left for June, July and August for the critters. They love it!

DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 16:14 »
This is the sort of stuff (sorry for the double post but when I came back to Edit the original I could not embed the picture)...
Mound.jpg

Mr Dog

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 09:50 »
I normally leave my kale and PSB plants to flower and provide early nectar for the bees. I've just started to pull them up now as they finish flowering and the comfrey comes into bloom. My lawn at home is full of clover and I like to refrain from mowing whilst that's in flower, although I do get some grief Mrs Dog!!!

xx
Crab apples as pollinators

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 20, 2014, 21:14
by sion01
xx
Helping or too much?

Started by Manteiga on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 13:48
by grendel
xx
my baby helping out....

Started by exploring mama on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 23:43
by exploring mama
xx
Cats 'helping'

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 01:17
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.563 seconds with 40 queries.