Planting leeks.

• 3 Replies

Goosegirl

Planting leeks.
« on: May 02, 2019, 16:22 »
I've always followed the tradition of making a hole, bunging them in then giving them a good watering. Last year due to ill-health, my OH did it by making a hole, bunging them in then he back-filled the hole with the surrounding soil and we couldn't see any difference between the two methods because they performed just as well and never mentioned about any soil getting down the leaves.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Planting leeks.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 09:19 »
Great if it worked for you, and interesting that it didn't make any difference to the size or let grit in between the leaves - but filling in the holes involves a little more work, so I'll carry on with the old way ;)

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 21:20 »
No need to fill the holes in Goosey, they'll do that themselves with the rain (and the snow)...

In fact, I reckon that leeks fare better when they have a hole to grow into, and also, some liquid feed every week lets them wallow in a huge meal for an hour, and afterwards, just get bigger and bigger, er - like I do..;0)

(But I'm on strict instructions at the moment, so braces are-a-cumin-in...)!

Actually, this is the first year we haven't grown leeks (sob). We have a re-rationalisation of the whole garden now we have given up The Patch (double sob), but we've found a wealth of other places to satisfy our gardening desires, like even making a raised bed (Growster, you've always been anti those chaps), yeah, but it's the remains of the old compost heap, and we'll pop in a couple of courgettes and a pumpkin to take the goodness out for the last time!

I'm just so happy pottering about The Turrets now. Hoeing takes fifteen minutes, and we're just looking at the blooming fruit bushes, which provide the sort of stuff that Waitrose or Tesco never supply!

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 13:11 »
Yeah that's what I've always done, but Mr G got the same results by making a hole, shoving (sorry, planting) them in and pushing the soil back with his hands like you do with some other veg and flowers. Personally I don't care which way it's done as long as we get leeks with a nice and tender long white shank. Autumn Mammoth 2 (a.k.a. Tornado) always does the job for us and has a great taste as well. You could always bung in a few amongst your ornamental garden! 

xx
Planting Out Leeks!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 18, 2012, 22:24
by Plottered
xx
Planting leeks

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 16:42
by Jim T
xx
Planting out leeks

Started by jerrynl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2014, 14:43
by jerrynl
xx
planting out leeks

Started by South Downs Wayer on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 12:09
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 42 queries.