Gettin' on a bit - but still gardening!

• 38 Replies

Growster...

Re: Gettin' on a bit - but still gardening!
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2019, 17:53 »
Marvellous crop, Dave!

That's all we need at this time of year, so you take it easy, keep the seed, and restart next year!

I'm on watch!

;0)

snowdrops

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2019, 14:45 »
Congratulations DD on the new addition. You’ll soon be caught up in the trap of can you just have..... but I wouldn’t have it any other way, you can buy veg but not grandchildren (well in theory I know you can but as this is about grow your own 😂😂)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

dugless

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2019, 18:18 »
I am back, ran out of time to come on here,
 we moved house this one belonged to a lady she died one day short of her 100th Birthday had to replaster all the walls and ceilings they were covered in artext, plus much-needed alterations. I still have my allotment I was doing fine until three months ago developed sciatica, ar 84 now wondering if I should give it up.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2019, 00:22 »
Only you can decide when it's time to throttle back and give up the allotment but if it's the sciatica (which I suffer from at times thanks to twisting my back whilst lifting years ago) then I'd recommend looking up back exercises.
If you go on your hands and knees and then stretch your right hand and left leg out for 5 seconds or so then the left hand and right leg - repeat a few times - it can help. Well it certainly relieved my sciatica.
Another option is to look at reducing the work on the plot or even sharing it.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Christine

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2019, 07:48 »
It's a good thing that the family turned up with two hedge cutters, one of which had a strimmer attached. The manual labour is possible using hand clippers for hedges and a push mower but it certainly saved a lot of time and effort. Things will be better when one knee is replaced in October and better still when both are done.

dugless

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2019, 15:54 »
I am getting forgetful it has been so long since I came on here I have forgotten how to post a new topic.
what I wanted to know How can you kill Ivy it is destroying the fencing at the bottom of my garden the roots are on the other side.

wighty

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2019, 20:19 »
We have this problem too.  What we did was water (with weed killer) along the bottom of our fence line and it did the trick (for a short time).  Eventually I sneaked round as it was an alleyway that led to their land while they out and snipped it half way up our fence.   When he commented on it I said it had been 'eating' our fence panel and did he want to replace them when they fell down?  Shut him up and I do it no w on a regular basis.

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2019, 21:47 »
Oh my oh my..... 3 years ago I was on here reporting on looking after 3 half plots whilst travelling up and down to Lancaster from London. reading back on it it was a doddle!! now i just have the 2 half plots + a daughter getting divorced, + a husband with a serious cancer problem but which is on going rather than terminal,my own back problems etc. etc.  How to reclaim time that was mine to decide how to spend it and not appear selfish or greedy?  I long for the days when we were all at work and chose how to spend our free time whilst being at home (ish) in the evenings!!

dugless

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2019, 01:45 »
We have this problem too.  What we did was water (with weed killer) along the bottom of our fence line and it did the trick (for a short time).  Eventually I sneaked round as it was an alleyway that led to their land while they out and snipped it half way up our fence.   When he commented on it I said it had been 'eating' our fence panel and did he want to replace them when they fell down?  Shut him up and I do it no w on a regular basis.
Thank you I will try that.

xx
Gardening serendipity

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2019, 21:46
by mumofstig
xx
Indoor gardening

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post January 11, 2024, 16:46
by wighty
xx
Fantasy gardening

16 Replies
Last post October 31, 2020, 17:03
by wighty
clip
Gardening assistants

5 Replies
Last post June 25, 2018, 11:28
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 49 queries.