Grape Virgin

• 4 Replies

scentedstock

Grape Virgin
« on: February 05, 2008, 00:56 »
I've just ordered a grape for my new greenhouse. Never done them before. Any tips? I used to think the roots had to be outside - is this true? Why?

gobs

Grape Virgin
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 09:44 »
A lot of plants, like kiwi, apple, etc. won't do well on the tropics, say, they are of temperate climes and need the chil/cool factor of rest to fruit well. The grapes need the greenhouse only to help the fruit ripen on our short, cool summers.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
Grape Virgin
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 12:53 »
Hi,
I planted my vine 2 months ago with the roots outside the greenhouse and as Gobs said it keeps the roots cool and allows the rain to water the plant.
This is the way I am going to train mine hope it helps.

On planting (winter) cut the leader to a strong bud on ripe, firm wood. Cut any side shoots to two buds. Throughout summer tie in the leader, cut laterals to five leaves and side shoots to two leaves. Remove any flower cluster. Repeat this the following year.

In the third year (the vines can begin cropping.)
In winter cut back all laterals to two buds, cutting the leader into ripened wood. Summer prune non-fruiting laterals to five leaves, and fruiting laterals to two leaves beyond the fruit cluster.
Paul

scentedstock

Grapes
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 20:54 »
Thanks for the information. Seems to be everything there I need. The greenhouse is arriving on Friday and the grapes are coming next week.

As you can see from the picture I have some earth in the greenhouse - this is by accident not planned.

Should I put the roots outside then train the stem into the greehouse by removing a pane of glass or does the roots just have to be outside. So I could angle the plant. Roots outside under the earth and the stem in the greenhouse coming out the ground.

Scribbler

Grape Virgin
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 08:24 »
I hope the greenhouse is very big. Vines should be ok outside on a south facing wall, the more sheltered the better further north. They don't really need to be under glass. That way you get more room for your toms etc.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

smiley
Allotment virgin!

Started by gillyr on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 15, 2009, 18:59
by Yorkie
xx
Virgin Plot!

Started by dezmc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 09:29
by Elcie
xx
Beetroot virgin!

Started by iggyboy60 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 06, 2011, 08:50
by Composto
xx
Virgin Land - now what ?

Started by gillej on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 22:34
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.577 seconds with 29 queries.