Attack

• 9 Replies

argylepete

Attack
« on: March 20, 2019, 10:26 »
Hi everyone, this is my first post and a sad one at that.
I woke up this morning to find my adorable hens scattered over the garden following an attack last evening. I live in the centre of Plymouth in a fairly built up area. My hens were well fenced in with chicken wire, plus a solid wooden fence to one side. Looks like part of the fence has been pushed to one side, so im not thinking its a cat. I hate to add but some of the hens are headless. Any clues to what caused this I would really appreciate.
Pete   

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Attack
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 10:46 »
It sounds like a fox attack to me Pete.  Really sorry you lost your hens this way.  It must have been really upsetting to find that  :(

argylepete

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 11:18 »
Thanks for the reply. Just the news I was hoping not to hear really if im honest. Would a fox spread the dead chickens across 3 gardens ? Also I could only find 3 of the 5.
Pete

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 11:46 »
Yes a fox would I'm afraid  :(   Not much consolation I know, but they cannot really help themselves when presented with so much food.  They kill everything they can and then go on a mad hide and bury mission with as much as they can.  They often end up running out of time and leaving hens strewn everywhere.

It might be worth reinforcing the bottom sections of your run with weld mesh, as foxes will keep coming back once they have had a success.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it really does sound like a fox attack now.

argylepete

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 16:23 »
Anyone know how long they will keep returning for ?
Pete

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 18:56 »
This must have been so horrible for you to discover, my sympathies are with you.
When i first had chickens & that was long before back garden chickens was as popular as it is now(this time round) I could only find anything out about keeping them in books from the library. I read then & it has stuck with me, a fox just needs to get lucky once, a Chicken keeper has to get lucky every night (and day with urban foxes).
I think the fox will check every night & maybe more than once as it does it’s rounds. Male urine is supposed to deter them but personally I wouldn’t rely on that. I’d take this opportunity to make a secure run with weld mesh as Newshoot suggests.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 22:35 »
Hi Pete, sorry to hear your distressing news, what a horrible thing to find.  But this site will always give you sound advice.   Good luck,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 11:10 »
Foxes will be cubbing now so the parents will be bolder with a family to feed .

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 14:40 »
Chicken wire keeps hens in but not foxes out.  Needs to be weldmesh 8ft high and a weldmsh skirt along the ground or buried into the ground (Omlet run has a skirt).
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

Ema

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 10:57 »
Very sorry to hear this Pete it must have been a horrible site. I have seen a lot of foxes this spring in Devon. I'm locking my girls in their coop each night which is a pain but worth it.

xx
Fox Attack!

Started by Chicken_Lover on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 11:25
by Chicken_Lover
sad
Fox attack

Started by Ellex on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post July 11, 2011, 16:17
by Chicken_Lover
xx
Mr Fox attack

Started by Maybelle on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 23:58
by isobel
sad
Our 2nd fox attack *sob*

Started by TeaPots on Chicken Chat

16 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 20:02
by NormandyMary

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 41 queries.