New potatoes. How early dare I try to plant them.

• 7 Replies

Anton

New potatoes. How early dare I try to plant them.
« on: March 01, 2019, 12:42 »
Fellow Gardeners,

I have my potato patch all dug, I bought my Red Duke of Your earlies yesterday. The weather was exceptionally warm here in Flanders over the past week or so  but it is now down to 9 degrees centigrade.

I have looked at the long-range forecast and apparently it's going to be between 8 and 14 all month with the lowest (nighttime temperature, I suppose) being 1 degree. April will be marginally better. So could I plant my potatoes this early or should I leave it until the middle of the month although there is unlikely to be any frost this month?
There might be a lot of rain!

Anton

jambop

Re: New potatoes. How early dare I try to plant them.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 12:50 »
 I have just asked a question about potatoes too !
My opinion... gardeners are obsessed to an extreme about getting things in the ground early for the hope of an early crop... but things will not grow unless the conditions are right ... if it is too cold and wet then you are wasting your time really they will not grow.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 13:44 »
You have to ask yourself - not what will the next few weeks be like, weatherwise - but what the weather will be like in April when they are above ground?
We often get frosty nights up until the Ice Saint's days (11th-15th May this year) so I think it very likely the tops would get frosted - so perhaps just try a few plants? Or put some in pots in a greenhouse?

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 13:59 »
If you plant now then you need to have the ability to protected them from a frost later in the year, We have suffered frost well into May that's required a lot of effort protecting from frost damage. If in doubt plant a few and hope for the best.

Anton

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 14:01 »
Thanks for all your advice.

I usually plant them from mid March to the start of April, so perhaps I should stick to my routine.

Anton

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 16:14 »
I always now plant 2nd weekend of April. One year I planted a row on Paddys day and one 2nd weekend of April, I was eating the April ones before the March ones a s a cold snap came in and knocked them back, not worth the risk.
I normally dig my first spuds close to those who still plant early.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Anton

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 21:50 »
I have always planted my earliers about the 20th of March (it's warmer here in Belgium than England) and I have never experienced any problems (touch wood), apart from main crop, when it has been hit by blight.

As soon as the  potato appears, I heap up the soil and continue doing so until any risk of frost has disappeared.

Anton

al78

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 22:32 »
I plant late March to early April, usually try to get it done before Easter, unless Easter is exceptionally early like in 2008. In 2013 when winter dragged on into April, I didn't put the potatoes in until the middle of the month. I go by the medium range weather forecast and the condition of the soil on my plot, it is completely pointless putting anything outside in heavy clay soil that is cold and wet.

xx
Early potatoes when to plant

Started by wilj1 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 09, 2020, 18:20
by Aidy
question
When did you plant early Potatoes in containers (e.g. in Cold Greenhouse)?

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 16:02
by mumofstig
clip
Is it too early to plant out?

Started by si.hyde on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 19, 2019, 08:21
by si.hyde
xx
Is it too early to plant pots and other veg

Started by tweacle on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post March 13, 2010, 22:42
by Lottiegob

Page created in 0.871 seconds with 46 queries.