Thinking of trying to go veggie

• 44 Replies

mashauk

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008, 10:53 »
Quote from: "Rob the rake"
It helps when you grow your own. I couldn't face being veggie and having to eat dodo supermarket veg. The tomatoes......lordy, they're awful. :x

Definately, and what about home-grown sweet corn, I wondered last year why everyone grew so much, now I know!  I hope after this year never to have to buy it again :lol:  You can get nice organic stuff if you don't mind paying a fortune for it (although in reality mass produced food is too cheap, we've just good used to the low prices and don't realise), at farmers markets etc., but I don't rate the supermarket organics much, and I find the box deliveries that are supposed to feed a family last about 2 days in our house :lol:

mashauk

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 10:55 »
Any recipes would be great, but I'm not a nutty person if you know what I mean :lol:[/quote]

Risotto is nice if you're still eating cheese. Curries are pretty easy too, dahl etc., if you PM me the kind of food you like, I'll dig out some recipes for you, I have thousands!!

Rob the rake

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2008, 11:00 »
Supermarket organics suffer the fate of all supermarket veg, they're simply not fresh enough. Add to that the fact that some of it's not picked at biological ripeness and there's little wonder it tastes so bland.

I remember the first year I brought my produce home (oh, the pride!), we found that quite often the bairns would eat all their veg and leave the meat. Speaks volumes, that does. :D
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

mashauk

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2008, 11:04 »
Supermarket organics suffer the fate of all supermarket veg, they're simply not fresh enough. Add to that the fact that some of it's not picked at biological ripeness and there's little wonder it tastes so bland.

I remember the first year I brought my produce home (oh, the pride!), we found that quite often the bairns would eat all their veg and leave the meat. Speaks volumes, that does. :D

Well yes I'm not even sure I completely trust supermarket organics anyway, I don't have kids but my friend does and we try to involve her in planting seeds, watering picking etc - she loves coming to the "lotment", and it's great cos she eats everything (not always a great idea when she's running round picking and eating stuff that's not ready LOL), but it's so good that she knows where her food comes from, she's vegetarian and thriving. Bearing in mind we live in London and have tiny gardens it's good for her to get to run about, she was so shocked when she saw us dig spuds, tried to eat one raw :lol:

Rob the rake

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2008, 11:04 »
Quote from: "mashauk"
It helps when you grow your own. I couldn't face being veggie and having to eat dodo supermarket veg. The tomatoes......lordy, they're awful. :x

Definitely, and what about home-grown sweet corn.....    

If I could grow nothing else but sweetcorn and tomatoes I'd still be happy.

Food fit for kings, I'll say. :D

mashauk

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2008, 11:06 »
If I could get all the nutrients I needed from the above PLUS potatoes I'd never eat anything else!  A bowl of fresh new potatoes, with butter, salt pepper and some herbs is a great Saturday night dinner :)

Rob the rake

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2008, 11:11 »
     ...she was so shocked when she saw us dig spuds, tried to eat one raw :lol:

It's shocking how little kids know about where their food comes from. :shock:

Great to get them involved though. It gives them a much better, more grounded worldview, I think.

Rob the rake

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2008, 11:14 »
If I could get all the nutrients I needed from the above PLUS potatoes I'd never eat anything else!  A bowl of fresh new potatoes, with butter, salt pepper and some herbs is a great Saturday night dinner :)

Ah, yes. Lets not forget the spuds. :D  That'll be Sweetcorn, toms AND potatoes, then. :lol:

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.kitchenacademy.co.uk/
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2008, 11:20 »
I find the supermarket organic stuff is naff too.
The problem is that organic stuff is grown for taste, not for shelf life, so its never going to survive in a supermarket environment  :(

Rob the rake

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2008, 11:35 »
Quote from: "Ruth Cross"
I find the supermarket organic stuff is naff too.
The problem is that organic stuff is grown for taste, not for shelf life, so its never going to survive in a supermarket environment  :(

The supermarkets are only just beginning to notice that people actually taste their food. Jamie Oliver mey be naff, but it's people like him that are responsible for raising the bar, don't you think?

gobs

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2008, 12:08 »
Organic, hah, I had a box scheme donkey's years back, frankly, there was nothing to it. It got cancelled fast. :wink:

Freshness is important. Spinach cooked straightaway soon after picking is lovely, let it be in my fridge for any little while, small person would frown at it for certain as can be. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Leaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2008, 21:50 »
Fresh meat is good for you, Fact, it is essential for growing kids, has amino acids that no veg can supply,
If people didnt eat meat then farmers would not breed cattle, lambs, chickens, pigs, and nobody would pay to see them in a zoo so they would become extinct.
I love eating pheasant, partridge, rabbit, muntjac, duck, and much more but would never buy c**p from a supermarket, so dont give up meat, just C**p meat

:D  :D  :D  :D Mal
we can plant a house, we can build a tree

mashauk

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2008, 22:04 »
Quote from: "Leaf"
Fresh meat is good for you, Fact, it is essential for growing kids, has amino acids that no veg can supply,
If people didnt eat meat then farmers would not breed cattle, lambs, chickens, pigs, and nobody would pay to see them in a zoo so they would become extinct.
I love eating pheasant, partridge, rabbit, muntjac, duck, and much more but would never buy c**p from a supermarket, so dont give up meat, just C**p meat

:D  :D  :D  :D Mal

Sorry, but that's just not true.  I know plenty of kids that have been brought up vegetarian and are a picture of health, obviously their mum (the ones I know anyway) feed them enough of everything they need to be really healthy, I'm sure if they didn't their doctors/midwives etc would have advised them not to be vegetarian (by the way most of the nonsense about meat being good for you and dairy for that matter is propaganda by the meat/milk marketing board or whatever they're called now).  In Australia they even had a campaign that said if you didn't eat lamb you were un-Australian, idiots.

By your reckoning re the animals becoming extinct, that's like saying if the Chinese didn't eat dogs they'd become extinct!  I'm sure a battery farmed animal would rather have no life than the miserable (thankfully short) life it currently has. Not everyone has access to the sort of meats you enjoy, not that I look in the meat department of Txsxo that often but I haven't seen  pheasant, partridge, rabbit or muntjac in the aisles, not round here anyway, and not everyone in cities can afford it (or go hunting for that matter).

anarchist plotter

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2008, 22:14 »
Quite right too Masha!  In point of fact I could go a lot further and really intellectualise but if I took that road Leaf would obviously fall out of his tree :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2008, 22:44 »
Once my plot is in full swing and there are veg a plenty I find our family rarely eats meat and no-one misses it.  there are so many fantastic veg dishes to be made to use up all our lovely produce. Me and my family are meat eaters usually but we all love curries and chillies, fresh pizzas, pakora, lovely salads with great sweetcorn cobs.  I even grew the red kidney beans for the chilli so just making the most of the veg and eating less meat when you grow your own is well possible.  I begrudge forking out for meat when we have so many fresh veggies.

xx
More veggie help please

Started by Elaine G on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post December 17, 2009, 22:39
by noshed
xx
Veggie Help Please!

Started by Elaine G on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 14:56
by Ice
xx
lazy cow veggie pie

Started by Babycat on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

32 Replies
Last post October 02, 2007, 05:50
by mushroom
xx
veggie guest ...help!

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

22 Replies
Last post December 15, 2009, 17:45
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 36 queries.