What I did on the plot today 2019

• 138 Replies

Aled

Re: What I did on the plot today 2019
« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2019, 14:21 »
A few carrots left in the patch and that's it!
Cheers
Aled

wneva

« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2019, 07:46 »
Did some tidying up.  We have a small patch - just a quarter allotment really, that's all we can manage.  It comes to seven beds, but we still have quite a lot of stuff growing.  There's spinach, kale and cavallo nero, leeks and a few cabbages.  And some purple sprouting broccoli.  I've nearly cleared the sweetcorn - first time I've tried them, and very good they were.  After that it'll be the runners to clear.  I plan to cut the kale soon, and freeze it.  Likewise the cabbages.

How long will perpetual spinach keep going for?  And can I plant rocket now?  I've been told it can be grown all year round - can that be true?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2019, 10:57 »
How long will perpetual spinach keep going for?  And can I plant rocket now?  I've been told it can be grown all year round - can that be true?

Perpetual spinach gets a bit sad looking over winter, but then usually perks up for more pickings in the spring.  It eventually goes to seed, but I don't pull it up until I can no longer contain it by regularly picking the tops out.

Rocket now  - dunno :unsure: 

If you already have it growing it usually lasts under cover (i.e. cold greenhouse, polytunnel) over winter.  I'm not sure seeds or young plants will do much now tbh.

WeavingGryphon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #138 on: November 04, 2019, 13:53 »
Today I pruned some of the currants and prepared them for cuttings. Their all in compost.
I got told it'd be an idea to plant some of the many many many extras down by the local waterway. So during the winter when I'm out walking I'll take them down with a Ho-Mi and plant them in clusters under the trees. I can only hope that they don't get lifted by dogs wanting sticks to chew.

It was all fun and games in the wet until I my shoe didn't even nudge a box. Which caused it to split and flood my shoe and super cosy socks. Standing in the howling wind and rain I didn't mind but that was my limit. So now I'm balling socks and typing this.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2015

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

923 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 18:35
by mumofstig
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun

Page created in 0.474 seconds with 41 queries.