• muck spreader
Why You Have An Allotment?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 21:08 »
Quote from: "matron"
Quote from: "Ice hockey mad"

Got a recipe for the left over legs?
Boiled, baked or roast? :wink:

As I have an oil Rayburn that has just run out of oil how about microwaved?
Sigh, ok first catch your caterpillar then............put it on high and watch the little sucker fry. :twisted:

No caterpillars were harmed in the typing of this reply.
Cheese makes everything better.

matron

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 21:15 »

Got a recipe for the left over legs?
Boiled, baked or roast? :wink:

As I have an oil Rayburn that has just run out of oil how about microwaved?
Sigh, ok first catch your caterpillar then............put it on high and watch the little sucker fry. :twisted:

No caterpillars were harmed in the typing of this reply.

Cheers I.H.M I will try that.
Sorry Glen to have taken over a little.

Jo-n-Neil

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 21:18 »
Its a matron thing  :lol:

matron

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 21:19 »
Quote from: "Jo-n-Neil"
Its a matron thing  :lol:

You know me so well :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

crackedflowerpots

Re: Why You Have An Allotment?
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 07:50 »
Quote from: "Glen"
It was following our family's first visit to the Eden Project last summer that we were inspired by what we saw and decided to take the plunge and apply for an allotment. Ok so we may still be waiting to be allocated a plot but we still have the bug big time.

This made me wonder what it was that inspired you guys to have an allotment?

these are some of the reasons why we got our plot, It was a Christmas present for my hubby,we didnt have a garden, we wanted to do something apart from vegitate in front of tv and WE NEEDED A REFUGE FROM OUR TEENAGERS AT HOME!!!
if it grows, it grows! if it doesnt ,, ah well .. there's always next year. :-)

crowndale

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 08:10 »
My great grandfather was a market gardener and my grandad (his son in law) had an enormous garden where he grew mostly fruit but some veges too.  used to love picking the blackberries and apples so my grandmother could make jam, hmmm, yum.  Then my mum used to grow veges at the bottom of the garden too and once I had a big garden I started to grow spuds and strawberries.  I moved to my current house and dug out a larger patch but decided there isn't enough room to do more than play at vege growing really so took on an allotment.  I love growing things, am not terrible good at it but have such fun doing it!  I love digging too and an allotment gives me lots of time to indulge in that hobby!  Am hoping to be semi self sufficient but only have half a plot and a newborn (not mine) due to arrive any day so I may be biting off more than I can chew here!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

diggerjoe

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 09:00 »
What memories that brougt back Ice Hockey -  pick the veg in the garden sunday dinner with clitheroe kid, family favourites  navy lark - i remember it well - it might be an inherited thing this growing  your own - although my offspring show little sign of wanting to grow anything but they are quick enough to eat it.
Hi to Glenn and Jeff and Suzanne - you'll find this forum is a fantastic place for information or just to veg out  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.kitchenacademy.co.uk/
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 09:17 »
I grew up on a farm where dad had a huge veg plot. My granddad also grew veg and used to tell me stories about when he went away to WW2 came back and his mother had eaten/sold all his veg and chickens! :lol:
My parents have now moved to NZ so no fresh supply of veg :cry:  Initially gave it a go in our rented garden but landlord restricted the size of patch I could have, so with the allotment only costing £12 a year couldn't say no!

paintedlady

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 09:28 »
I'd already planted my garden with semi-dwarf fruit trees, some fruit bushes, shrubs and flowers, and I wanted to keep the lawn for my pets.  I ventured into growing veg between the trees until they started getting a bit too shady, about the same time I was made redundant.  I've since got another job but at a considerably lower wage (apparently I'm too skilled, too experienced and over qualified :roll: ) and I had to do some serious thinking about budgeting.  Taking on an allotment plot to grow my own veg was SUPPOSED to help cut down the shopping bills, but it seems to have turned into something else. :shock:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

mushroom

Re: Why You Have An Allotment?
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2008, 10:11 »
Quote from: "Glen"
It was following our family's first visit to the Eden Project last summer that we were inspired by what we saw and decided to take the plunge and apply for an allotment. Ok so we may still be waiting to be allocated a plot but we still have the bug big time.

This made me wonder what it was that inspired you guys to have an allotment?

Well. Nothing really to do with growing, at least not at the outset. I've always lived in towns and cities and during adulthood, never had a bit of land to call my own - so my allotment goes a long way to satisfy that need. We have bbqs on ours when the weather is nice. Plus, there is a need (in myself anyway) to create things. it's a bonus that it can be harvested, and an even bigger bonus when it tastes better than anything bought.

flowergirl

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2008, 10:25 »
I got my allotment last year after an 18 month wait (not a long wait for the area) because me and my daughter live in a flat so have no garden, it was the romantic idea that we would do it together and she would know that veg doesnt grow in Tescos in bags but its now turned into my refuge where i can go when shes at school and ive got a day off and just do what i want. As someone said earlier theres no one telling you what to do and no standards to meet like at work ,Perfect :wink:

PAH48

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2008, 11:49 »
Hi Paintedlady I know exactly what you mean :!:  :roll:  :?:

Bye PAH

(apparently I'm too skilled, too experienced and over qualified :roll: )

Lynne

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 14:38 »
I have always loved gardening as have all my family, but don't have enough space for veg unless I dig up my ornamentals. We've wanted to grow veg for a while and my Dad always did, so last year we took the plunge and took on an allotment.

Time is often a problem as we both work, and as my work takes me all over the UK, I can't even go in the evenings if I'm away.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

GreenOwl

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2008, 14:43 »
I don't have an allotment yet but I want one because I want a larger vegetable patch so that I can grow more!  I want to grow romanesco cauliflower, PSB, asparagus, winter squashes, onions, leeks, JAs, parsnips, swede etc. etc. and I just don't have the space at the moment.

Why do I grow stuff?  Hmm.  Never bothered with the garden when I rented.  When I bought my first house we cleared a bed at the bottom of the garden and out of curiosity I planted some potatoes.... and they grew :shock: ...  and I got bitten by the bug.  It fulfills a need in me.  Simply put, it makes me feel good.  Also the homegrown food and exercise is good for me and my family and the food tastes better than shop bought!

eco-friendly

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2008, 19:04 »
hi, i got my allotment because i enjoy feeding my kids fresh fruit and veg but find buying from supermarkets very unsatisfying.the variety is not good the chemicals are unbelivable or to buy organic is even more expensive plus there is the carbon factor i.e. transpoting to supermakets, the plastic they are wrapped in.Also i have a very small garden which i wanted to keep as a lawn area for kids to play in  and my garden at home is quite shady most of day but my allotment is south facing with no houses to cast shadows over it so hopefully if i ever get all the work done i might be able to stretch out and worship the sun for a bit. oh yeah another reason is i was getting a bit podgy and couldnt afford to join gym. All round its the perfect solution and has made me very happy even before its produced anything.and at £18 a year its a total bargain
for thousands of years men and women managed to grow fruit and veg for thier families without petrol strimmers,rotovaters,plastic sheets,cars or round-up.

clip
Allotment

Started by mickmick on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 25, 2013, 21:01
by snowdrops
xx
My noo allotment

Started by MJS on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 21:06
by MJS
xx
new allotment

Started by oldtimer on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 01, 2007, 11:24
by mushroom
xx
First day on our allotment!

Started by sheridan on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 14:45
by sheridan

Page created in 1.098 seconds with 36 queries.