This has made me so sad today.

• 6 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
This has made me so sad today.
« on: December 12, 2018, 11:49 »
Last night I received a message from a fellow goal keeper coach with a link, the article was about a young GK of 14 who sadly passed away during a game due to a accidental collision, the knee of the other player had hit the lads head causing brain damage.
I feel really sad for the family of Luca and also for the player he collided with, he now has to live with this all his life!
Fortunately head injuries are very rare in grassroots footy but they do happen however I am now left wondering as a coach do I have some responsibility into advising parents and players who are GK's. I have followed closely the Americans grassroots footy where U11s are banned from heading and limitations for U12 & U13s, as yet most other countries are calling for more research before they follow the americans.
My own daughter who is at U15s is fearless as a keeper, something I have instilled into her, she has had a few knocks to the head, nothing to cause to much concern however I have thought about following Petr Chech and we have talked about the scrum caps, she is relluctant but the news yesterday has re-ignited the flame. I have now written to other sports bodies to try and get information about what they have in place.
Part of me thinks this is OCD but then I really dont want to know any young lads or lasses who end up with a head injury that possibly could of been prevented.
I have no idea if this is a result of footy, I caught up with an old friend, we was chatting about all the other lads n lasses we hung around with back in our youth, he told me of one who is in a bad way, he has some mental illness, he is 53, this chap was a centre forward for our team and could head the ball with as much power as some could kick it, is there a link? Are we now putting 2+2=5 who knows.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Goosegirl

Re: This has made me so sad today.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 12:39 »
Hi Aidy. I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. Personally I think you're doing exactly the right thing by making enquiries as to how best avoid this happening to anyone else. In any contact sport there's going to be some hard knocks etc that may cause permanent damage to part of the body later on, but the brain is particularly sensitive and needs some sort of protection. 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 14:03 »
Back when I was working I coached our local team, and since the day I saw a 3-D video of how the brain gets bashed about inside the skull I was uncomfortable about teaching heading skills, so I don't think it is OCD at all to investigate how other sporting bodies try to prevent this issue at all. Petr Chec learned the hard way how important head protection for goal keepers actually is.. injured in front of the Reading fans I remember

Sad to hear that Luca had such a serious brain injury, and sad too for the lad who inadvertently caused it  :( :( I would hope that all coaches of young teams would join you in changing expectations of safety
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 15:22 »
I had read about the accident to the young lad. I think there has been enough talk of brain injury because of heading a ball (all part of the game) the wearing of a skull cap is a very good idea.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 17:38 »
Sorry to hear that sad news, I can understand why many of you are feeling so awful.   I don't know anything about football at all.  I am a great Rugby Union fan, and they all, young and old, wear head protection.
  I wish you well with taking this further.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Pescador

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 18:22 »
Not quite accurate Mrs B. If you look at the National Teams and top club teams, there are generally only 2 or 3 players per team who wear scrum-caps.
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 15:04 »
Not quite accurate Mrs B. If you look at the National Teams and top club teams, there are generally only 2 or 3 players per team who wear scrum-caps.
Thats still on average hundreds more than footy!
I also note that in rugby league at the top level and lower down the ranks they too tend not to wear them, just the odd players, its the younger junior level where I am concerned with.
I am awaiting replies from both the RFU and clubs around us.

xx
I've made a decision

Started by jmc1949 on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post March 26, 2020, 15:38
by mrs bouquet
xx
Aaaaargh, I've made a raised bed...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post March 13, 2020, 17:47
by Growster...
xx
The stuff that dreams are made of ...

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post March 20, 2018, 08:21
by mumofstig
xx
But today got better !!

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2018, 19:00
by grinling

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 38 queries.