Re: Allotment politics

• 2 Replies

silver77

« on: July 31, 2018, 09:56 »
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the site forums although I've followed advice on here for years. I've had my small half plot for 3 years now.

I'm looking for some advice as I asked for a bigger plot this year and after speaking to the chairman, who told me it was up to the council, I went to the council. That's where my trouble started. I received a very patronising email from the council who obviously had had a long chat with the chairman. In a nutshell it was implied I went about things all the wrong way and I had not done what I should to 'deserve' a bigger plot.

Our site is self managed so outside of the official tenancy agreement there are the rules of the site  but no one seems clear on what they are. The clearest clue I had was from the patronising email.

I've offered to draft these rules up and get them circulated to all members so this misunderstanding doesn't happen again with anyone else. I've also offered other suggestions to help new members but it's all fallen on deaf ears.

It's resulted the chairman requesting we have a meeting to discuss 'matters arisen'. It's taken 3 months to agree on a date for this (tomorrow) and I assumed this would be informal and I was told today it's to be formal.

I feel he's going to try and get me evicted. The reason think this is that the chairman has been nitpicking at my plot since the bigger plot request and some of the jobs I've done as part of the overall maintenance of site have been vandalised, such as signs taken down and posts broken.

I've out so much effort and money into my little plot I don't want to lose it. Also I love pottering about on it I also get on well with all my plot neighbours. I don;t want to go into this meeting unprepared. I've already asked for some points he wishes to discuss and whether I should have someone with me present as well. Anything else I should do?

All tips welcome!!

Goosegirl

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 11:30 »
I'd certainly get someone to go with you (another plot-holder?) and get him to take notes of the meeting. Have you any records of what you've done and grown on your plot, any receipts of expenditures, when and what was vandalised, and pics would help as well.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

madcat

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 15:37 »
Definitely get another plot holder to go with you, someone with a bit of backbone if at all poss., but not argumentative.  You don't want to end up in a he said, she said situation.  Notes are good too, as memories change agreements.  Photos help.  And then keep your eyes on the prize - keeping your plot in peace.  If that means letting the old guard do things their way and butting out of other things on the site - that might be the price you have to pay.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
Allotment politics

Started by upert on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post April 23, 2018, 21:24
by Eblana
xx
new to me allotment

Started by Debz on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2018, 19:39
by snowdrops
xx
New allotment t&cs

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

22 Replies
Last post January 09, 2020, 11:42
by mumofstig
xx
Allotment committees

Started by snow white on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post September 14, 2019, 16:35
by Christine

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 38 queries.